Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Beginning List of Twitter Accounts to Follow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discus_sam
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Good Beginning List of Twitter Accounts to Follow Reply with quote

This is a good initial list of what homeschool twitter feeds to follow, courtesy of Squidoo:

http://www.squidoo.com/-best-of-homeschool-on-twitter-list

Here's another good account to follow for general education information (they give out a scholarship as well):

http://twitter.com/DiscusAwards

www.DiscusAwards.com
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to poll and find out how many homeschoolers actually use Twitter. I personally prefer not being limited to 140 characters or inundated in stealth advertising, but maybe I'm just too old (nearly to 30!). Opinions, anyone?
discus_sam
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few benefits that homeschoolers could capitalize on by using Twitter. For organization purposes, here's a brief (informal) numbered list:

1. The first benefit is simply the basis behind the entire social media industry. Homeschooled kids can follow each other to keep one another updated on their experience, and give advice to their fellow peers on certain things that have really worked well for them, or others that haven't.

2. The same goes for the teacher; curriculum can be discussed, links to good sites can be shared, and you could even develop a co-op where classes are taught via Twitter.

3. Finally, the argument about the heavy dose of advertising is well-taken, but I would contest that advertising isn't always bad just because it's advertising. There are some very relevant products/services that we may not know about that could have a presence on Twitter. Twitter would be a great, free way to find out more about some great new products and services meant for the homeschooling community.

These 3 points go beyond Twitter, and essentially cover the pro-social media perspective when it comes to homeschooling. Social media is great for so many reasons (and not so great for equally as many), but in the end, like anything else, it's as useful and relevant as you make it. If you can find a way to use it that fits your style, it can be very beneficial and make the whole homeschooling experience easier and more rewarding.

www.DiscusAwards.com
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could make the debate that if you shorten the chunk size of a discussion enough, it leads more to distraction than meaningful conversation. I guess my question is - why Twitter rather than blogs and forums? What is there that makes Twitter better than other mediums, rather than better than nothing?
discus_sam
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore,

Your point is well-taken. I guess I would highlight the accessibility of Twitter. The fact that you can access Twitter from your computer, or your phone, means that discussions can happen in real time. Forums and blogs don't have that element of conversation to offer.

The other point I would highlight, is using Twitter as an organizing tool. Sure, there are ways to aggregate blog and forum posts, but with the new feature Twitter lists, you can now create a list of all the Twitter accounts you follow that provide relevant information. With bloggers posting links to their latest entries, and with administrators on forum perhaps posting interesting discussions, you can now see all this in real time, in one place.

Look, Twitter certainly isn't for everyone. In the end, people have to do what they're comfortable with. My personal promotion of Twitter still comes from the potential I see in it, rather than what's already there. But the possibilities truly are endless, and I think if enough people use it, it can become of the most useful tools for connecting with other people and information that's important to them.

www.DiscusAwards.com
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some blogs have RSS features that allow you to "subscribe" to them as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: