Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Formal or informal preschool? ACE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a formal curriculum for your preschooler, a variety of activities, or do you focus more on extracurricular?
Formal Curriculum
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Variety of materials
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

ttclark2
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Formal or informal preschool? ACE? Reply with quote

We have 2 preschoolers this year (a 3 and a 4) so I'm not heavy into purchasing full curriculums yet. I am a shopper though, I like to take my time making these decisions.

Anyone have any experience with the ACE system? My husband went to a private elementary school that used the system, and for his learning style he really liked it... But that was a long time ago. Anyone used it lately?

I already know my oldest 2 have different learning styles, so I'm hoping to find one curriculum that allows flexibility for both of them. Just looking for suggestions! I'm just beginning this quest.

"If we see wrongdoing that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." Anna Sewell
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preschool doesn't involve enough schooling per se to be worth doing with a curriculum, imho. It's really just common-sense stuff like letters and numbers and lots of hands-on play and reading to your child. Kindergarten is plenty soon enough to start trying formal instruction.

(I know this is a bit off the topic of your original post, sorry)
JoshCHS
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Lifepac system to the ACE system. Similar in styles (worktext based), but the Lifepac seems to involve more critical thinking. The ACE system is a good bible based curriculum, but probably not quite as challenging as some of the other options out there. Lifepac doesn't start until K.

As far as PK, it is a lot of common sense teaching. With 2 kids, you might want to consider purchasing something that helps you organize and save you time. I like the Horizons program as it allows you choose between the activity based model or the worktext based or both. Also, it does have daily Bible lessons.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't have my preference: none of the above. For little preschool-age children, most mothers already do more than even what published programs suggest.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my dd, I used Rod and Staff A-B-C workbooks. They have a bunch of coloring, cutting and pasting activities that she really enjoyed.

The workbooks were really just a supplement to things we already do in every day life - counting, identifying shapes, identifying letters, reading, etc.

So I would say that a curriculum really isn't necessary, but can be a fun add-on for a child who is interested and ready. My dd saw her older brother doing school, and really wanted to do some book work, too. We only spent about 15-20 minutes of it.
Darlin77
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: preschool curriculum Reply with quote

I agree a purchasd curriculum isn't always necessary, but I do think planning and preparation is. Preschool years are so important to the learning process and can't be ignored. Everyday learning experiences should be happening, but I also agree with working on letter/sounds, math concepts, etc. They don't always need to be done with worksheets. There are fun, hands-on activities to teach these things. Just don't underestimate the importance of teaching during these critical years.

If you'd like to eliminate the preparation/planning time and get a high quality, all-inclusive curriculum, check out www.instantpreschoollesssons.com. The first 2 weeks are free, in exchange for feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: