Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooked on Phonics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristy555
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Hooked on Phonics? Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice about using the Hooked on Phonics program for my 4 year old? Would this be a good phonics program to use with my preschooler and when he turns 5 to start him on the reading path?

If not, can you recommend a good phonics program?

Thank you,
Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (14) and David (4)
FosteringHope
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned on HoP, and I really love it now too... though I'd skip the HoP baby package, but that won't be a problem for a 5 year old, you wouldn't be using the baby pack anyway.

I also like the Phonics Game, but I don't know if you can get it anymore.
Kristy555
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great to know and thank you for letting me know your experience with HOP.

Kristy
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used parts of HOP. I got the Kindergarten, Learn to Read version. We skipped using the cd's/audio tapes. No one liked them. But we did work out of the workbook and the kids used the little books and companion books.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Kristy555
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dawn for your reply and for letting me know what things worked for you.

Kristy
Mom to Kristy (14) and David (4)
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we tried HOP in conjunction with Abeka and our daughter hated it. She just absolutely didn't like it and fought with us everytime we sat her down to work on it. Luckily we didn't buy it and just borrowed it from our library.

She did however like the studydog website. I don't know why but it was more fun for her. She also liked the reader rabbit stuff.
Kristy555
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ncmom for your reply. I appreciate everyone that has replied to my post and given their opinion.

Kristy
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Sing, Spell,m Read & Write Reply with quote

We used this program, Sing Spell Read and Write to teach reading to my 2, 3, & 4th children. It predates hooked on phonics, is similar, but It is cheaper, I think. It is quicker, too. I think HoP moves slower or has more steps - not sure. But if this program is still available, I'd recommend it.

I taught my first born to read using "How to Teach Your Baby to Read". It also works. But there are two opposing methods to teach reading. One is phonics, the other is sight words. Those who believe in phonics hate sight words. and those who believe in sight words hate the phonic method. I only mention this, because if you try the phonic method and your child isn't learning, then maybe you should try the site word method.

I appologize for typos, one hand is in a splint.

Lorelei Sieja
judyh
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Using a combination of homeschool phonics programs Reply with quote

My older kid just turned 4 and i and using a combination of phonics programs and books with her. The programs and books we are using are the Letterland series, ZooPhonics, Starfall.com and books from Clifford the Dog from Scholastics. I think you may want to check out Starfall first as its free online and seems to engage the kids really well.

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
Darlin77
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfall.com is a great free resource. I never used a specific program, but basically read a lot to my kids. They have all had great success with learning to read/write. I did little daily activities and modeled a lot when reading. I tried to make literature a part of everyday life and point it out to them (journaling, grocery lists, notes, etc). Like I said, they've all picked up on it with no problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: