Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here need curriculum help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygirl
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: New here need curriculum help Reply with quote

I have a question about phonics.
My dd almost 9 has LD's ( see sig at bottom) she can memorize word but can barley decode. She scans the pictures to try and figure out words
She doesn't know any phonics rules as of yet. She can tell the sounds of letters cons short and long vowels but doesn't know how to use them. She doesn't know any combination sounds no silent e unless this is a word she has memorized.
Example she has been doing the Read Naturally program this summer at the library. This is what she does she lets computer read it to her completely the 1 st 2 x then the third she reads it a little then the 4th x she's got it word for word she's memorized it. To me that's not really reading
Her spelling is not good either she spells completely phonetically (ex show = shoow does = duz
like = liek pages = paez your = yorr leave = leev chosen = choyen)
I have looked into the Scaredy Cat Reading System the words level and now I ended up looking at Phonics Pathways & Reading Pathways I need opinions on a good program if not these then others.
I don't want a phonics curriculum to jump all around and not teach the rules is the proper order as some do or have words or rules be in the before it's taught. I just need help If any of you have ideas or any suggestions on curriculum please tell me. School yr is coming up fast thank you for listening
PDD (NOS) traits, fine motor probs HW very affected

DS 6 dx Autism,
DS 3.5yr nystagmus, Autism

DS 16 mon speech & Lang delay All have SID
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Scaredy cat, a great program that uses lots of senses to keep all the rules in your head. I have also heard about a similar program called "alphabet island" that one of my friends loves and her children are getting phonics very quickly and really being able to apply it. It is a great sptry that is for children that love to be read to, and can remember things in stories rather than abstractly. It talk about all the numbers and the rules that they follow because they are all different. a great idea for children with special needs! I'd take a look.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My learning to read curriculum from Christian Light just came in and from what I see, it is better than the one I used with my son.

I checked homeschool reviews and found that Christian Light is loved by many and given excellent reviews.

Check Rainbow Resource.com for their phonics/reading sources.

they sent me their catalog (free) it has 1368 paged! It is a HUGE resource! Each item has a detailed description.

Pathway Reading seems to another resource with wonderful reviews.

I plan to use Pathway reading as a supplement in the future if my kids desire more.
teachinmom
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Dianne Craft's Right Brain Phonics.

It has been a lifesaver for my daughter who has severe speech, artic, learning, aud. proc. and other delays. We started using it when she was8 or 9 and she could not read or remember letter sounds. Now she is 11 and reading on a pretty consistent 2nd grade level.

Right Brain techniques are key.....also Brain Integration Therapy.....very cost effective and explained on her website.

diannecraft.org
tonygirl
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
alwayshomeschooling
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Great Program for LD Kids Reply with quote

I have an 8 yr. old dd who is struggling with much of the same thing. We are using a computer driven LD program called Pathways through Essential Learning Institute www.ldhope.com and have already seen significant growth.

The sad thing is I have known about ELI for years and even sent many students to them for help. I KNEW WITHOUT A DOUBT that she needed this program two years ago and I did not put her on it. The strides we have seen in just this short month are both encouraging and discouraging. Encouraging because she is really improving; discouraging because we could have seen this change years ago if I would have heeded my own advice.

It is not the most inexpensive program out there, but knowing that the changes we are seeing are for LIFE, it is well worth it.
Jessica
Jessica L. Parnell is a homeschool consultant, evaluator, and principal of Bridgeway Homeschool Academy, an international homeschool academy, that has been serving the homeschool community since 1989. Visit jessica-parnell.com my personal blog.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm coming in really late here...sorry! My recommendation would be the Spalding Method. It has been proven successful with children who have all sorts of learning difficulties. The Writing Road to Reading is the manual for the Spalding Method.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
tonygirl
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for your ideas the school has been using the wilson program during my 2 older kids resource time. HWT is what i have been using that is still a real struggle though. We just keep pluggin away though. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: