Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic Novels & Comics for Visual Learners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenpaw
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Graphic Novels & Comics for Visual Learners Reply with quote

Hi
This is my first post so please go easy on me.
I am homechooling my two children in Australia and have a particular interest in visual literacy, as my son who is now 9, though talented in many ways is what you would regard a "reluctant reader".

As a librarian in my previous life (ie before children) and then having run a business devoted to promoting comics to schools and libraries I thought I could share a few resources for parents whose children may not be picking up on reading as quickly as they would like or who are looking for non-traditional resources for their visually inclined kids.

Some great graphic novels (comics in book form) for beginner readers:
Stinky ISBN: 0979923840
Owly (5 volumes by Andy Runton)
The Wind In The Willows ISBN: 1597070955
Benny and Penny Volume 1 Just Pretend ISBN: 0979923808
Benny and Penny Volume 2 The Big No-No!ISBN: 0979923891
Yakari (various volumes)
Otto's Orange Day ISBN: 0979923824
Baby Mouse (various volumes)
Adventures In Cartooning ISBN: 1596433698 (also good to encourage writing as it is a comic that centres around making comics)

I have further descriptions of the titles on my blog but won't post it unless someone is interested, to avoid the whole SPAM thing.

Also if anyone is interested I can post another list for emerging readers, tweens, etc.
My focus is on great stories with engaging art and for this level at least, an appropriate vocabulary level.
Has anyone used comics in their homeschooling with success? I would love to hear about it.
Thanks for the opportunity to contribute
Cheers
Inger
TriciaC
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the list!

Some years ago I discovered some wonderful picture books at the library here. I wonder if they would be useful for your homeschool and if they are available where you are:
1. Books by Mem Fox such as "Tough Boris" , "Koala Lou"
2. Books by Pamela Allen
3. The Hairy McLairy books by Lynley Dodd.

The pictures aren't just illustrations as they help "tell" the story. That might come in handy for your visual learners where they would be encouraged to fill in the gaps and "extend" the story.
mikeclan
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, the above list of books is looking quite interesting for my son. io think I can buy few of them for him. I am in search of good essay writing scratch book. I What are the best options I have/ I googled but I am not completely satisfied with the results. Hope you guys can give me some useful info.
Kalani
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not interesting for a boy, but the first three Baby Sitters Club books were published as graphic novels a few years ago. (Very popular 80s girls chapter books)

I seem to remember reading "The Scarlet Letter" as a graphic novel as a child.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: