What do you think about this for Pre-K schedule?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

anna.hettick

What do you think about this for Pre-K schedule?

Postby anna.hettick » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Just wanted to know what everyone thought about this for our Pre-K schedule. We have been doing something like this since the end of August and it takes us about 1-1 1/2 hrs to do all this. I was going to do a Main theme each month and have mini themes each week (Month theme: Fall/Thanksgiving, mini themes: apples& pumpkins, thanksgiving, leaves, etc.)

Story Time (T)
Calendar/Weather Time
Song Time
Bible Story Time
Bible Story worksheet/coloring page (M, W)
Bible Story Craft (F)
1-2 letter worksheets (M, T, W, F)
Song Time
1-2 number worksheets (M, W, Th, F)
Alphabet Flashcards (T)
Number Flashcards (Th)
Song Time
1-2 Opposites worksheets (T)
1-2 Shape/Color worksheets (Th)
Activity or Craft Time
Educational Game Time (computer, hand held, file folder)
Educational DVD Time (W, F)

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:50 am

To be honest, it doesn't sound like something that I would feel comfortable with. It seems heavy on the age-inappropriate work (flash cards, worksheets, rote memorization...) and not enough discovery or play based work - games, activities, etc. Littles thrive when they have more than one sense involved in their learning experiences, or when it's all integrated. Writing and sitting so much isn't an age appropriate skill yet.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:32 am

We are way more relaxed than that and tend to stay away from flashcards, etc. during the younger ages. BUT, if the schedule is working for both you and your child, I think it's fine. Just make your daughter is enjoying it, and make sure you don't burn yourself out.

Darlin77
User

Postby Darlin77 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Get free, done for you, lesson plans at
http://www.instantpreschoollessons.com

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”