Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started in Alberta, Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Getting started in Alberta, Canada Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I joined here when I started homeschooling our daughter two years ago, when we lived in California.

Well, since then, we've moved to Canada (Edmonton, Alberta to be exact), and I find myself feeling like I'm starting all over again!!

Is there anyone on here that's around me (or at least in my province) that can help me out with what to do/how to get started? I've done loads of research already, and found loads of great sites (as well as rediscovering this one!)...but I could sure use all the help I can get! (I'm also looking on Kijiji for materials and such...going to also visit a Dollarama store probably today for materials...any suggestions on that front would be great, too!)

I'm happy to be doing this again. Our daughter spent last year at a public school (which I never want to do again...it was awful!!), and I'm back to my original decision to homeschool. I just think it's better for my daughter, and her particular personality/needs/learning style overall. Not to mention, she encountered bullying problems (from another student) at the end of the year there, and they just wouldn't do anything! UGH!

So, here we are! I'd love to get her into some sort of sports and maybe dance...really get her out there doing more this time around!

Thanks so much for anything you guys can lend by way of advice!

Rosie*
bchsmom
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: I'm in Canada but not in Edmonton Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you've found these sites yet:
shine-hs.invisionzone.com
homeschoolersguide.ca
homeschooledmonton.wordpress.ca

Perhaps you can find more on those sites that pertain to your specific area. I'm not sure where you fall legally for homeschooling? I believe Alberta is the same as my province, where as you have to register your children somewhere. This could be at a local school or with an online school. With registering you are just acknowledging that your children exist and are being homeschooled. In my province, there are no home visits, no testing and no accountability for registered homeschoolers. There may be options for you to receive funding as well. In BC, if we choose to be accountable to certified teachers and show proof of learning, parents can receive up to $1000 per child for resources and classes (dance, swimming etc.).

Hope that helps some.
Michelle
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, bchsmom...those links were great! (I couldn't get the third one open, but the first two were wonderful and immensely helpful.)

Here's a question I can't seem to get answered...does it cost money to register with a school board?

Also...how do I go about seeing if we can receive funding?

Thank you so much, guys!
bchsmom
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: sorry about that! Reply with quote

I mistyped;
homeschooledmonton.wordpress.com not .ca

Are you Canadian citizens Rosie? I noticed you stated in your earlier post that you were in CA before moving to AB.
I know for a fact there if funding available in AB, there are also curriculum packages available. One suggestion is to go to this site and post your question there:
www.todaysparent.com
There is a homeschooling forum there and I know there are people who homeschool in your province. They will have more information for you than I will. It's free to join, you need to provide an email address, make up a screen name and then you can post in their forums. Homeschooling in found under the Education section. Super easy to navigate.

Another suggestion would be to randomly select a contact from the sites I listed and just ask someone! I'm sure you will find a friendly person willing to give you the run down on homeschooling in AB.

If you are completely unsuccessful with those suggestions, post back and I'll find someone for you.
Michelle Smile
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Michelle! I will check that out and probably join (barring any hugely crazy reason not to join, of which I cannot imagine). Smile

No, we are not yet citizens. But...we're working on that. Smile
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited! We went today and bought all of the basic supplies we'll need, including plenty of materials to review last year's work (which'll be great to start with). So, now onto organizing...

And tomorrow, we'll be getting a great folding table and chairs, as well as an easel that has a chalkboard on one side and whiteboard on the other, so I'm excited!! (For her second grade year, we used just a whiteboard, and were having such a time figuring out how to use the whiteboard on a table, and then purchasing an easel while not breaking the bank!) So, I'm really happy about the great find!

We're starting on Monday!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: