Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you homeschool with very little money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruisin
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my children are currently in 6th & 7th grades, is this an expensive time period?

What about SAT's??
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found middle school to be much more expensive than the early grades. We did buy one fairly pricey ACT prep book and we used it for more than one child, but not till they were in 10th and 11th grades.

Ramona
bruisin
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for telling me that! I appreciate it so!
barabi51
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We struggle sometimes just to pay ordinary bills, let alone extra homeschooling materials. We bought Sonlight one year when we DID have money for it; and though it does cost a bit, the advantage is that afterward you HAVE those great books which you might want to read again later on, or loan out to others, or even (gasp! horrors!) sell...

Nowadays, we visit the library, research things on the Net, use the dictionary, the encyclopedia, etc., go on as many free or cheap field trips as we can get to without spending too much on gas, etc. etc.--People are a great resource. If you get people talking about what they do for a living you will learn a lot.

Recently, a little downtown business in our city began offering after-school "extra" classes for homeschoolers. This little ice-cream parlour is operated by a homeschooling family. They offered classes in things like art, electronics, and Lego robotics. The classes took place right in the ice-cream shop on certain days of the week. (Of course, we didn't HAVE to buy ice cream after the classes, but it really seemed appropriate to show our appreciation for these kind people. Wink ) My son (10) took the Lego robotics course, taught by a knowledgeable boy a year older than him. It was great and he learned a lot. There was a fee but it was very, VERY low--a fraction of what we would have spent on, say, music lessons during that time. I have really appreciated having such an opportunity right here, a few minutes' walk from our home.
Teatime
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Frugal parenting/homeschooling Reply with quote

Lego robotics...now that sounds like fun!

Our town is tiny, and the next town over is small. We depend on the library a LOT. What we were pleased to discover (now that we are homeschooling and pay attention to all the little "extras") is that our library hosts all sorts of special events. In the last month, my kids have gone to Spa Night (cool stuff to make with kitchen ingredients, lots of science going on there) and free Art Lessons (turns out the new library director was an art major). There are movie nights (always based on books!), story hour for the little ones, craft days, and book discussion groups. We are thrilled with the amount of stuff available to us, even in our little neck of the woods.

Another surprise for me was free textbooks from public school teachers. Found out the free sample books from the publishers were headed for the dumpster. What a shame! We just asked, and they were happy to get them off their shelves. These are brand new student and teacher textbooks. We had several quality books to choose from, so brought a few promising ones home. Don't know if this would work for everyone, but this was in a highschool building where everyone has known our family for years.
Teatime
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: another source Reply with quote

Oh! One more source for textbooks: the "used books" section at the college bookstore.

At an off-campus bookstore at our local university, I picked up a decent algebra book and two biology books. Total cost was $8. I took the kid with me and we spent some time sitting on the floor poring through these books before we made our decision as everything needed to meet both of our needs. I think if a person is careful, this can work well. Just watch out for the books that have been highlighted to death!
barabi51
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: discarded college texts Reply with quote

At one of the colleges near us, one student has decided to notify the homeschoolers (we have our own regional message board) whenever the college is discarding their old texts at the end of the year. Our children and I went up there a couple of years back, picked through the discarded books and came home with a boxful. Now, I did have to throw some of them out after we got home and I took time to sit down and look through them a little more carefully (these I would have classed as "for a more mature audience," i.e. college students, NOT a sixth grader and a fourth grader), but we were able to keep enough that it was worth the hour-long round trip. (It wasn't only textbooks--we got paperback copies of things like "Pygmalion" and "St. Joan," too; maybe even some Shakespeare.)

I asked the student who had let us know about the books what the charge was, and he said, "Nothing. The books are going in the trash and I just thought if you all wanted to bother to come get them, someone might as well."

Now if only this other school I heard about today would do that with their outmoded laptop computers! A friend of mine saw a pile of them in the school's Dumpster. When she asked about them, she was told, "The school got new ones." I'm sure at least some of them still worked; and, as my friend commented, there are many people who have never owned a computer, who would love to have one, even out of the trash pile, if it worked reasonably consistently--never mind it being a little "slow." At the time she was too shocked to think of asking if she could take them home, though. I've known of people who would have grabbed them on the spot, like me! (If they're really trash, the worst thing that could happen would be that they'd end up in MY trash, but I do know how to get rid of trash.)
macro_grp02
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Online Searches Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you search curriculum online. Most of the time, these online information also have books that are included in their curriculum. Search for a PDF copy of the book or download it online. You print and out and wallah. You have a book.
Crysalis
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a book just a few days ago title "Homeschool Your Child for Free." I found it at Border's in the Education/Teacher section. It's full of HUNDREDS of link for finding curriculum, and it's separated by subject.

Also, do you guys know that if you have a Border's store near you, you're eligible as a homeschooling parent for the Teacher Discount Card? Having the card gets you 25% list price off all books, and I think 10% off DVDs, but they run a special Educator's Week twice a year where you can use your card for 30% off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: