Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PORTFOLIOS and RECORDKEEPING in Illinois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamprd9129
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: PORTFOLIOS and RECORDKEEPING in Illinois Reply with quote

Hi!
I am new to homeschooling my 3 girls this year-grades 3rd, 7th and 10th.

What is a portfolio and does anyone know if Illinois requires this.

With 3 different ages, what papers are required for each level?

How do you organize and do the recordkeeping at the levels? What is needed?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: PORTFOLIOS and RECORDKEEPING in Illinois Reply with quote

pamprd9129 wrote:
Hi!

What is a portfolio and does anyone know if Illinois requires this.

With 3 different ages, what papers are required for each level?

How do you organize and do the recordkeeping at the levels? What is needed?

Illinois doesn't have any requirements for recordkeeping.

You will want to officially withdraw your dc from their previous schools. This is not required by law--that is, you are not required to get permission or to notify anyone--but if you do not tell their schools that they won't be back, it is possible that someone at the school will think your dc are just truant and initiate some sort of negative contact with you. You don't want that!

My first recommendation is that you join Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Although Illinois is considered a "green" state because there is no accountabilty to the state at all (there was a court case some years ago that decided that homeschoolers are equivalent to private schools, which are not regulated by the state), there have still been some negative contacts with school officials. Your HSLDA membership might come in handy. Surprised

So after you join HSLDA, you send a simple notice to your dc's schools, notifying them that the dc will not be returning and requesting their records. Your oldest may need her 9th grade transcript to go along with the transcript *you* will keep, if she intends to go to college, but in any case, you really do want to request your dc's records.

Some states require hsers to keep portfolios for their dc, which consist of samples of the dc's schoolwork. Illinois is not one of them. Once in awhile colleges request portfolios, but you can find out ahead of time which colleges do and what they want in the portfolios. I wouldn't worry about it for your younger dc at this time.

The only records you will want to keep are whatever will help keep you on track...whatever track you decide to be on. Smile You will want to keep some sort of transcript for your oldest, which is can simply be "semester" grades for her subjects. This is a big topic, and there are lots of books and websites that can help you with high school recordkeeping and whatnot. Just let me say that high school is not that big a deal. Really.

Illinois doesn't require any sort of standardized testing, and most hsers don't find it necessary. I only recommend it if you know that your dc will be going back to school.

Mary Pride's Big Books are excellent resources. Also, Barbara Shelton's High School: A Home Designed Form+U+La is also excellent.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
pio444
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PORTFOLIOS and RECORDKEEPING in Illinois Reply with quote

[quote="elliemaejune"][quote="pamprd9129"]Hi!
Hello, where in central texas we are Puerto Rican to it is nice to know there are other homeschoolers in the same area as we i have two boys one in 8th grade and 6th grade it would be nice to have contact with you guys my email adress is mooo252002@yahoo.com hope you reply God Bless and have an nice day. Smile
pamprd9129
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Homeschooling and Recordkeeping Reply with quote

Thank you for your wonderful thoughts on the recordkeeping for our 3 dc, ages 15, 12 and 8. As school starts Monday for them, and I also have a part time daycare of 2 full time children, and I also run a Tastefully Simple business, it is feeling a bit overwhelming on the following:
-how to ensure they do enough of each class and the right amount
-how to keep all their grades per class organized
-how to be there for them to ensure they are truly learning yet be there to teach the little 2 yr olds and keep them occupied

I am someone who likes to be and feel organized and with 3 activities in the pot at once I'm getting a bit scared-homeschool, daycare and Tastefully Simple but I know God will provide. (guess I just want to be sane at the same time!)

We did come from a private school already (my oldest has been there sin ce she was 3 so dealing w/public schools shouldn't be an issue thankfully). I've got their records but now I wonder how to keep it organized. Thankfully the 2 older kids do have a total of 7 classes on SOS so it'll help with the transcripts and grades a bit.

Any ideas y'all have is greatly appreciated!
Wendy
Homeschool Mom in Western Illinois
Tastefully Simple - www.tastefullysimple.com/web/wspencer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: