Mom needs help with Math

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

ladibugg
User

Mom needs help with Math

Postby ladibugg » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:58 am

Im hsing 3 kids,11,13 and 15. Im not good in Math AT ALL! How do I teach them when Im in the dark about it???? I hope Im not the ONLY one! In TEXAS SM

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:04 am

No, you're not the only one :-)

Happily, there are several very excellent publishers and products to help those of us who are inept in turn help our children.

Teaching Textbooks and Chalkdust Math both use computer/DVD to teach. D.I.V.E. DVDs are available for Saxon.

Those three should keep you going :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

ladibugg
User

Math

Postby ladibugg » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Thankyou, thats nice to know. You are in central TX? So am I :lol:

gellegbs
User

Postby gellegbs » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm in TX south east part. I'm pretty good in math ( I know algebra like quadratic equations, graphing linear and quadratic equations, matrices, geometry like finding angles and sides and Pythagorean theorem), maybe you could somehow post questions through the forum messaging system.

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 pm

I don't know how good this site is, as I haven't really checked it out yet, someone just sent me the link last night. I only skimmed over it briefly.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:04 pm

You could try using Saxon math. Their program is incremental and they give very good examples. Their solutions guide also goes through the problems step by step and that can help alot.

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:40 pm

There are so many resources out there on the web that are meant to explain things to kids that you will surely be able to find something to help you understand it also.

Just google whatever topic you are working on and the words "explanation, "examples", "help", etc.
Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

You Enjoy Myself
User

Postby You Enjoy Myself » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 pm

You also might try hiring a tutor. You might be able to find a math/physics/computer science student from a local college. It would be cheaper than hiring a 'professional' and also more money for the student than most campus jobs pay.

oneofthegirls
User

me too

Postby oneofthegirls » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:58 am

I started hs my girls last year- and I am the queen of math disaster, lol.
In school I did not pass algebra and was put in general math classes.
I suspect that I was dislexic also because I was in math lab and also reading lab.
Looking back, I had one parent who was also math challenged, and both lacking in the patience department. When I did struggle in math, I had no one to show me I could work through it-and build up my confidence.
"I can't" was a word I would always fall back on, and so my brain would follow.
I said all that to ask- what is your math background growing up? This could be an opportunity to build yourself up and do things that you thought not possible. Also, to show your kids how working at something over time brings positive results. When they see you trying, it encourages them.
We used Abeka last year and the step by step approach plus the parent manuals were a valuable asset. I learned prealgebra and things that I thought I could never do myself, or teach. I even learned how to decipher some word problems- for me that is BIG. Now I have friends call me and ask how to work a problem- that is too neat.
Math tutoring is a great idea, also, until you get the hang of the math that you are teaching. Usually once you know the basics, most math will repeat/review and build on next year's curriculum. I know this is the case with Abeka. I also kept my math parent manual from last year as a reference.
I've heard great things about Saxon Math, also. Just finding the one that you can understand the directions best is the key.
“When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.â€

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm

oneofthegirls,

Congratulations on your new math success! I've also found that I'm learning so much by homeschooling. What a blessing for us to get a second chance at knowledge.

oneofthegirls
User

Postby oneofthegirls » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 am

minniewannabe,
If you would have told me I would have learned something and benefited from my girls being homeschooled a couple years ago, I would not have believed you, lol. That's how hopeless and math defeated I was.
Isn't it neat how the right atmosphere can bring about so much good results in education? I've seen my girls blossom and grow and for myself, it is an added blessing to the mix. I tell people all the time- if I can learn something in math- then anything is possible, lol.
I'm excited that you are learning and growing too! I think it's great for our kids to know that this process doesn't stop. Thanks for sharing that.
“When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.â€

karin
User

Postby karin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:43 pm

The best way to REALLY learn something is to teach it! As you start learning the basic concepts and teaching them to your children, I think you will find that you gain a deeper understanding of that concept! This in turn will not only give you a greater sense of self confidence, but will motivate you to learn more! The best thing about homeschooling is that you continue to learn right along with your children!

If you need help, please email me! I will be glad to help!

Alicelewis11
User

Postby Alicelewis11 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 am

I think if you would have let me know I would have taken in something and profited from my young ladies being self-taught several years back, I would not have accepted you, lol. That is the means by which sad and math crushed I was. Isn't it slick how the right air can achieve so much great brings about instruction? I've seen my young ladies bloom and develop and for myself, it is an added gift to the mix. I tell individuals constantly on the off chance that I can learn something in math- then anything is conceivable,. I'm energized that you are learning and developing as well! I think its extraordinary for our children to realize that this methodology doesn't stop. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding offering that.

deenamathew
User

Postby deenamathew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 am

If you like to learn something it is better to learn some basic concepts of the same to teach you LO.

Mathhelp
User

Re: Mom needs help with Math

Postby Mathhelp » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:30 am

We are a couple of moms who have founded this company and we would love your feedback on our new web and app business. App is available at www.appstore.com/mathdoozy and website is www.mathdoozy.com

Everyone needs help - especially with math. No matter how smart we are our kids are, there's always a tough math problem that's a real challenge to solve. And no student should feel embarrassed to ask. But research shows that kids often don't ask for help - and qualified help is not always available. The company was founded by a working mom who, though highly educated, often found herself unable to help her son with his math problems and did not find real options for real time help at the most inconvenient hours at night or when she was traveling for work. Thus was born MATHdoozy.

Every mom should have the MATHdoozy app - and no kid should be be deprived of this insurance utility. MATHdoozy is private, convenient, fast and on-demand 24/7/365. Private tutors are expensive and not available on demand. MATHdoozy has recruited hundreds of highly qualified math graduates who are standing by to help - just one snap away.

You simply take a picture of the math problem - from a textbook, a question paper, or even handwritten (via app) or upload a document online. Write a few words pointing out the specific problem and click submit. Sit back and relax. A qualified human solver will send back a detailed answer in real time! Your entire history of solutions is always available both online and in app.

The solvers do not see any information about the user. The entire interaction is 100% anonymous and the Company uses advanced technology to ensure images are screened for any inappropriate content.

No child should be left behind in their understanding and mastery of math. It is a fabulous utility and tool. It is not a calculator or a content app. It is all about real humans solving real problems in real time.

Return to “Math”