Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McRuffy and "Reading made Easy" by Bendt - opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedashwood
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: McRuffy and "Reading made Easy" by Bendt - opinion Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used “Reading made easy” by Valerie Bendt? How did it work for you? How about McRuffy Phonics & Reading – Grade 1? Has anyone experience with that?
If so – please share! I am going to be doing Heart of Dakota LHFHG (1st grd) this fall and wanted to know what phonics program to use. They recommend RME, but it seems to lack a lot of the “structure” and “rules” that many feel are vital to become proficient in our language. McRuffy uses readers, but it also has grammar instruction and looks fun. So – I am soooo confused. In the past we have done just little blurps here and there of phonics/reading instruction with readers and bob books and starfall. Its amazing to me what he actually can read! He is a stubborn wiggly learner, so that’s why nothing too formal has happened thus far.
Any – ANY!- advise is welcome. Thanks so much for your time!
octobersky
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: McRuffy Reply with quote

Hello, I cannot say enough about McRuffy. I just started out homeschooling last yr, kndg for my then 5 yr old DS. I am again ordering from McRuffy Press. My son did great with all of their programs. Phonics, Math and Science. Being a first timer I was really nervous about would I be able to teach my son to read, but the McRuffy phonics put me at total ease, it gives you everything you need to be successful, and my son loved the readers, he couldn't wait to finish one and move onto the next.
Oh and if you shoud decide to order McRuffy, I would suggest to do it directly from McRuffy Press, they are only a few dollars more than buying through Reading Rainbow, and you get more stuff, sicne they sell a special edition only through their site.
Happy teaching!!!! Very Happy
bedashwood
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Wonderful - thank you very much!
I went with Reading made easy this year. We are doing Heart of Dakota - Little hearts for His Glory - for 1st grade and they recomend RME. I used some Alphaphonics (polar opposite from RME) in kindergarden and he learned a lot - but did not enjoy it. Actually - he hated school. Hopefully he will learn the joy of reading this year with RME. I will see how we do this year and will definetly keep McRuffy in mind when I order next season. Again - thank you for the great advise!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: