Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home/unschooling uninterested kids
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello batwing, if you dont mind me suggesting, and i am no expert but, i think that one other important thing to look into is your daughter's clinical depression... perhaps going to a family counselor might be a good idea. im more worried about your daughter because im sure it pains her, to see her kids fighting, and the fact that she can't 'control' them, must be hard on her... this is especially difficult on any person with that condition... but of course, equally important is the education of her kids... a lot of kids now could not be motivated by anything if there is no 'fun' in the equation. try getting them into 'educational' camps, and let them mingle with other kids, and let them experience the joy in learning...
burby
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. After reading some of these posts, i feel i have something in common with op (which makes me feel better)
I also have a child that seems at first willing to learn but when it comes to it, hes just not interested. He is 9 and was attending school (in the UK) untill six months ago. I think now the problem is that im trying to teach him the way his school was and thats why he not interested.
How do I de-school? Im not sure whats unschooling is.
I think I need to change my method but not sure how, I dont want to waste anymore time, even though he may have produced more work for me in the last six months than he ever did in school, I just get the feeling its not interesting enough for him. Im begining to think im not capable in 'teaching' him.

O.K ive just done a quick readup on de-schooling and i know now i should have done this from the start (coz i homeschooled suddenly i didnt research proper) so from tomorrow no more 'schooling' in this house and my son as welcomed this as u can imagine!!. I Have two other children in mainstream school so untill now and throughout the summer hols (from end of july till start of sept) that will be the period of de-schooling. I aslo breifly read about unschooling and this seems like a good approach and be very benefical for my son, but i will not decied yet. I will use this period of de-schooling to research the best method. Thank you so much for help me even though you were not aware. Im from the UK and by the sounds most of you are from the USA so your probably all in bed now!!
I hope im doing the right thing, its actually quite scary knowing my son wont be doing any schooling for awhile. If anyone has any advice about my decision then it would be welcomed. Take care.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you won't be doing any "schooling" doesn't mean your ds won't be learning. Smile And you're in an "off" period anyway, with your hols (I can learn a foreign language in my old age, lol). For the next few months you'll have some time to do more research, and when you do start again, you'll be more prepared and your dc will be more relaxed.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you start up a blog, burby. Give yourself a way to see the big picture. Write every few days about what your ds is up to, and in Sept/Aug, sit down, take a look at what he did over the summer to see how much he truly learned.

We finished school here about a week ago. I told ds (10) he was on his own for the summer, pretty much.

Day 1-3
Watched his hour of tv, played on the computer for an hour, sat on the couch for the rest of the day.

Day 4
Went for a long scooter ride, practiced pitching in the backyard, sat on the couch for the rest of the day.

Day 5
made a bunch of lego toys, read a book, baked cookies, started a string bracelet and is now off with his friends.

He is slowly getting to where he needs to be - self directed for 90% of his work. I don't want him to rely on me to develop his passions. I'll support him, but I don't want to direct the schedule anymore. This summer is hard for me to stand back and watch him be incredibly bored but at the same time, it's the best thing for him.
burby
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i think being bored for a while will be good for him so he will want to be doing something and at the same time he will be learning. I know ive already said this im ny other 2 posts, but im going to homeschool all my four children after the summer hols because i want the whole family to be involved. Im finding it hard to juggle homeschooling around my other children mainstream schooling. we will all have more freedom just to live and learn!! Laughing
austinstrickland
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thnx for this informative discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: