Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working and homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.av.sum1
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Working and homeschool Reply with quote

I have to go back to work full time and thought I could never homeschool. However I have some information where there are some parents that work full time and homeschool. I will have to work until 4 pm and I have 45 min commute 3 days a week. The other 2 days I work from home. My idea is to do school as soon as I get home and to send some stuff for Kindergardener to work on during the day at Grandma's. I do not expect Grandma to offer a lot of help just read instructions to her. I will use vaction time to help if we get off track and I plan to do this all year so we can take lots of breaks. Do you think this will really work or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
Matt Conrad
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be tough at best, but I have heard of parents doing it. Depends a lot on you and your child, I think. Maybe on Grandma too.

If you feel strongly about homeschooling you can at least give it a try. You've got months before the next school year, so you can test it out until July or so, and decide then whether or not to keep on.

In my town we have a mom who homeschools other families' children for a very modest fee--something between a private school and a homeschool co-op. Perhaps you could find something similar where you live.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work. I give music lessons 3 days a week and the other two I am home. I am also getting ready to go back to school. I know it is going to be tough but I think I can do it. We are doing work on Sat and Sun if we don't get it done during the week. It only takes us a 2 to 3 hours a day though to complete our lessons so it really doesn't mess up our weekends if we have to use those days. I try to do double up if I think we won't get it done. We are making it work. Me teaching is a necessity not a luxury and after I complete my schooling I will be looking for a night job so I can continue to homeschool and work in the evenings/night. It won't be the first time I have had to do this so I know I can do it again.

You'll find a way! Just be flexible.
roo
User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not working but I'm in school full time. It's hard but the last week showed it's doable. We figured out a schedule and they do their work in the morning. It normally takes between 3-4 hours for them and then I do mine in the afternoon and some times I have to use the evenings too. I've been tired but I know we are doing the right thing!

Good Luck!!

Kelly
2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!
nelcy06
User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are doing the right thing Roo.

Good luck for you too !!
marf1273
User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible in this world. If your heart and mind are into that path that you feel will be best for you and your children, by all means do it. It may be tough on your part, though, because you work full time but yes, giving assignments to the kids while you’re away and spending quality time with them when you get home are the best you can do.

Last edited by marf1273 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that you will do just fine with the plan that you have right now... i also heard about parents doing the same... it's just a matter of getting used to the schedule/plan that you have... see how it goes for a span of time, if it gets too hard, i'm sure there are other options that will work for you.. good luck.. Very Happy
judyh
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Give it a try if you believe homeschooling is still the best Reply with quote

I know of many mums who really believe that homeschooling is the way to go. But due to financial circumstances, they are forced to go back to the workforce somehow. These are genuine concerns that many are faced with. First, i think you should just give it a try. It could be tough initially but as you go along, you should be able to figure out what schedule works best for you and your kids. To avoid disappointment, i believe its important to set your expectations right. It may be unrealistic to have the same kind of commitment as a full-time homeschool mother is giving to her kids. Your kids is the best feedback mechanism you can have. Ask them how they feel to see if any adjustments need to be made.

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: