Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favorite Grammar Curriculum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HSLoriAnn
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: What is your favorite Grammar Curriculum? Reply with quote

I am using Spaldings Writing Road to Reading, but want something else for Grammar (this is based on my lack of confidense in teaching this subject). I want something that would lay it all out for me.
Have any suggestions?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for teaching Spalding. Smile

My favorite grammar was Easy Grammar, but I don't use it until the dc are 9 or 10yo.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grammar Ace and Winston Grammar
homescholar
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Winston Grammar. It was great for my boys, it was quick and they could do it independently. It's a kinesthetic program, so they learned while doing. All I really wanted was parts of speech, and it really fit the bill for us!
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini
isamama
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use and like Easy Grammar, but in addition I also use and like GUM. Grammar Usage and Mechanics by Zaner Bloser teaches grammar via a learning subject such as a biography or science topic and at the end of each chapter/unit there is an editing page, so you get a little practice with that too. GUM allows for some unit studies because it does combine a subject with english.
My dd10 used Easy grammar last year and GUM this year along with McGuffey. I through in a few novels such as Treasures of the Snow with a lit guide by Chris Roe. I'm not sure what we'll use next year, but probably either GUM again or another dose of Easy Grammar.
RodeoMom
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how old your kids are - mine are 4 & 5, and we're starting with WriteShop Primary. I love it - I wish everyone would layout schedules and lesson plans and activities like she's done. I also like how creative and interactive it is for the 3 of us. We had a ball on our first lesson and they continued on their own the rest of the afternoon and evening to repeat and expand about what we learned. What I've seen so far seems great, will plan on continuing.
punchbuggyblue
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Growing With Grammar Reply with quote

We started Grammar in Grade 4 and began with the Growing with Grammar series. I have blogged about it here:

Teach Them Well

It's a great series and my son never complains about doing it.

Lisa
Peru
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Growing With Grammar Reply with quote

punchbuggyblue wrote:
We started Grammar in Grade 4 and began with the Growing with Grammar series. I have blogged about it here:

Teach Them Well

It's a great series and my son never complains about doing it.

Lisa

Try Murphy's English Grammar in Use. See http://www.amazon.com/Grammar-Use-Intermediate-answers-Self-study/product-reviews/052162598X/ ...
for reviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: