Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Care Packages?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Care Packages? Reply with quote

HI everyone,

My kids and I were watching Reading Rainbow today and were inspired. The theme of the show was "care packages" or something close to that. Anyway it showed several different classes in different places that had decided to send care packages to deserving children around the world.

So I was wondering. Do any of you know of any organizations that accept care packages? I'd really like the names of places that you personally have sent things to. I'm going to be doing a general search later on the internet, but I just wanted your input.

Thanks in advance.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done Operation Christmas Child
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC but that collection time is usually around Thanksgiving.
We have also sent care packages to military personnel serving in Iraq/Afghanistan. Ask around and you can usually find someone who knows someone and can get you an address. Churches/local service organizations sometimes keep lists of those serving with their addresses.
If you use a flat rate box available free from the post office, it helps keep the shipping cost down. Make sure you are getting the international one if you ship overseas.
You can also send care packages to the children of those serving if you are interested in sending the packages directly to children. Our 4H group does that. Again check around with friends, churches and service organizations. Since the boxes are going to children, you may have to send the box through the church or service organization - they may not give you the direct address for a child.
Service is such a great thing!
Have fun!
Best wishes!
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a neat idea.. aside from being able to help kids who have not been as fortunate as 'our' kids, it also is a way to teach 'our' kids the value of giving...
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stay domestic and only send packages to our troops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: