Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singapore vs. Math U See

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spradlin02
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Singapore vs. Math U See Reply with quote

I'm looking for opinions on these two different math models.
cafemama
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give any feedback on Math U See.

However, we have been using Singapore Math for a for a very short time now with our two new daughters, ages 8 and 10. They are very behind in school and are Spanish speakers (now, but learning English), so I am teaching the curriculum in English and translating into Spanish so they learn it twice. It has been wonderful for them. Our 8 year old is using the earlybird kindergarten B book and our 10 year old has already completed 1A and is halfway through 1B. It was necessary for them to start at the beginning since they missed so many foundational math concepts. But they are learning so quickly and they have really enjoyed the curriculum. They nearly beg to do more math everyday! I have found it easy to use. I do sit with them one-on-one at this point, but they aren't really independent learners in much of anything yet, as everything is still so new to them. It is coming, though!

I'm looking forward to continuing using Singapore math in the future and with our other children!

Hope that helps a bit!

Meg
Imzadi2000
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Math-U-See with my daughter for 2 years now. She is currently on the Beta level. My husband and I both have degrees in Computer Science and have taken many years of college level math. We both agree that this curriculum is a very well thought out math curriculum. My daughter enjoys watching the DVD's and masters each lesson quickly. The blocks are a definite plus at lower levels. The blocks help visualize what's going on. We will continue to use this curriculum next year. I would recommend this curriculum to both advanced and struggling math students.

Sincerely,
Sonya
triciater
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Singapore with my son the first year I homeschooled. He did well with it and we were fairly pleased, but I heard so many good things about math-u-see so we decided to try that the next year with both of my sons. I have LOVED the MUS curriculum! It is very simple, easy to understand, teaches concepts in a way I wish I had been taught and it's fun too - the blocks make it more hands on. I know every child is different, but this curriculum has been great for my family and I'm sure we will be using it for a long time! Good luck!
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most everyone in my homeschool group uses MUS; however, i purchased Singapore Math. It just seemed like a better fit for us. Another family in our homeschool group uses Rightstart Math. I checked in to Rightstart, but it just didn't seem a good fit for us.

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use MUS. I really like how it stresses understanding of the different concepts. It's concept mastery, which means each book focuses on one concept before moving on to the next.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the way it's set up. There aren't endless drills (like Saxon) and the goal is to get the child to see the math, do the math, and teach the math. Once they get it, they can move on.

Ds has a better understanding of mathematics than I ever did at his age and I even find myself using some of the tricks to do mental arithmetic quickly. I'm just amazed at his growth.

We haven't used Singapore but there is a good review of it here. I have to say, it's not for us. I think if MUS wasn't available we'd go with Shiller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: