Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling my Baby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supermommy
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling my Baby Reply with quote

Hi ya'll!

I just want to know that I should homeschool my baby. She is of the age to start kindergarten and I just want to homeschool her b/c I love her and I know there are lots of wicked people out there and I want to save her. I don't want to put her in a place where I know I can't hold her hand every day. I want to keep her by my side so that I know she is okay. My husband thinks that she should go to school to learn "necessary social adjustments", whatever the heck that means. Don't ya'll think that I should keep her by my side?

Crying or Very sad Sad
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschooling my Baby Reply with quote

Personally, I vote with you. I've kept all my children at home all their lives. My oldest finished 12th grade last May and is now attending two local colleges (and still living at home). He is very well-adjusted socially. People are always telling me how polite he is. He goes on dates. He was employee of the month last month at his job. All my younger kids are doing just as well.

Ramona
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Homeschooling my Baby Reply with quote

Of course, we are going to be biased and side with you! We are homeschoolers!

In reality, it does not matter what we think; You really need to talk with your husband. Homeschooling does not work well if one spouse is against it. There are many benefits to homeschooling that he may not have considered. You might need to do some fact gathering and present it to him.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to deeply examine your beliefs if you are using homeschooling to protect your child and "save her" from the "wicked people" around her.

I believe homeschooling should be about exploring your world in a safe manner, yes, but when your sole focus is on protection you need to think about how that will affect your child in aspects of her life - will it create an unnecessary fear of her world? Will she be able to socialize with more than 2-3 people who share the same beliefs? Will she forego her dreams or outside classes because it puts her with "the wicked'?

I don't believe that that is best for a child, and I can certainly see your husband's concerns. Perhaps coming up with a homeschooling plan that takes both your ideals into consideration would be your best choice here. By putting it all on paper, you can see if this will work for your family or create more contention and divide.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
I think you need to deeply examine your beliefs if you are using homeschooling to protect your child and "save her" from the "wicked people" around her.

I believe homeschooling should be about exploring your world in a safe manner, yes, but when your sole focus is on protection you need to think about how that will affect your child in aspects of her life - will it create an unnecessary fear of her world? Will she be able to socialize with more than 2-3 people who share the same beliefs? Will she forego her dreams or outside classes because it puts her with "the wicked'?

I don't believe that that is best for a child, and I can certainly see your husband's concerns. Perhaps coming up with a homeschooling plan that takes both your ideals into consideration would be your best choice here. By putting it all on paper, you can see if this will work for your family or create more contention and divide.

I agree with you. Red flags went off with the talk of saving and wicked.
I'm all for home schooling, though if I could do it all over again my kids would still go to MDO and church pre school. Those were positive things for them.

K5 in public school was not. That's where the trouble started.

Anyway, be careful to give your child plenty of opportunity to spend positive time with others as well.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is of course a difference between not isolating your child, and surrounding your child for 7+ hours a day, 5 days a week with potential bad influences. That should be eased into a little at a time, and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with keeping at least a young child close to you. Kindergarten and first grade are the foundation for everything else, and even just for educational reasons alone, should be done at home.
judyh
User

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: wise to homeschool young kids Reply with quote

Kids at this young age need to be nutured correctly. The right values need to be cultivated and there is no better place than being at home with you. I can probably understand why you husband may have a differing view. But i believe the social aspect can be easily overcomed. You may want to think about bringing your kid out on a homeschool trip to mix with other homeschool kids. Protecting your child is one thing. But more importantly, in my opinion, is to start the foundational years correctly. And the best and safest way- homeschooling, of course Smile

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
marf1273
User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess mothers know best so go with what you feel is right. If you’re based at home most of the time, then homeschooling will be ideal for your kid. If you have made a final decision on this, just make sure to bring your kid out in the park every now and then to socialize with other children. You can ask friends with kids to schedule a weekly get together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: