New here need curriculum help

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tonygirl
User

New here need curriculum help

Postby tonygirl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:07 am

I have a question about phonics.
My dd almost 9 has LD's ( see sig at bottom) she can memorize word but can barley decode. She scans the pictures to try and figure out words
She doesn't know any phonics rules as of yet. She can tell the sounds of letters cons short and long vowels but doesn't know how to use them. She doesn't know any combination sounds no silent e unless this is a word she has memorized.
Example she has been doing the Read Naturally program this summer at the library. This is what she does she lets computer read it to her completely the 1 st 2 x then the third she reads it a little then the 4th x she's got it word for word she's memorized it. To me that's not really reading
Her spelling is not good either she spells completely phonetically (ex show = shoow does = duz
like = liek pages = paez your = yorr leave = leev chosen = choyen)
I have looked into the Scaredy Cat Reading System the words level and now I ended up looking at Phonics Pathways & Reading Pathways I need opinions on a good program if not these then others.
I don't want a phonics curriculum to jump all around and not teach the rules is the proper order as some do or have words or rules be in the before it's taught. I just need help If any of you have ideas or any suggestions on curriculum please tell me. School yr is coming up fast thank you for listening
PDD (NOS) traits, fine motor probs HW very affected

DS 6 dx Autism,
DS 3.5yr nystagmus, Autism

DS 16 mon speech & Lang delay All have SID

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:53 pm

I have used the Scaredy cat, a great program that uses lots of senses to keep all the rules in your head. I have also heard about a similar program called "alphabet island" that one of my friends loves and her children are getting phonics very quickly and really being able to apply it. It is a great sptry that is for children that love to be read to, and can remember things in stories rather than abstractly. It talk about all the numbers and the rules that they follow because they are all different. a great idea for children with special needs! I'd take a look.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Sat May 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Sharon

teachinmom
User

Postby teachinmom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 am

tonygirl
User

Postby tonygirl » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:52 pm

alwayshomeschooling
User

Great Program for LD Kids

Postby alwayshomeschooling » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 pm

I have an 8 yr. old dd who is struggling with much of the same thing. We are using a computer driven LD program called Pathways through Essential Learning Institute http://www.ldhope.com and have already seen significant growth.

The sad thing is I have known about ELI for years and even sent many students to them for help. I KNEW WITHOUT A DOUBT that she needed this program two years ago and I did not put her on it. The strides we have seen in just this short month are both encouraging and discouraging. Encouraging because she is really improving; discouraging because we could have seen this change years ago if I would have heeded my own advice.

It is not the most inexpensive program out there, but knowing that the changes we are seeing are for LIFE, it is well worth it.
Jessica
Jessica L. Parnell is a homeschool consultant, evaluator, and principal of Bridgeway Homeschool Academy, an international homeschool academy, that has been serving the homeschool community since 1989. Visit jessica-parnell.com my personal blog.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:58 pm

I know I'm coming in really late here...sorry! My recommendation would be the Spalding Method. It has been proven successful with children who have all sorts of learning difficulties. The Writing Road to Reading is the manual for the Spalding Method.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

tonygirl
User

Postby tonygirl » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:29 pm

thank you all for your ideas the school has been using the wilson program during my 2 older kids resource time. HWT is what i have been using that is still a real struggle though. We just keep pluggin away though. 8)

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”