Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kindergarten vs Preschool in home w/homeschool sibling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
law142
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Kindergarten vs Preschool in home w/homeschool sibling? Reply with quote

My 5 y/o son is almost completed Kindergarten curriculum in a homeschool program. My 3 y/o daughter will be doing some sort of homeschool when he starts his 1st grade program. They both have Oct birthdays, so they will be 6 and 4, respectively. She "reads" all the time, and followed many of his lessons. I am debating, with myself, whether to begin her in a Preschool program, or go on into Kindergarten. Any advice, experiences, or information/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindergarten vs Preschool in home w/homeschool sibling? Reply with quote

Formal preschool is unnecessary, imho. It's basically just numbers, letters, and shapes, all of which are covered again in kindergarten at a slightly faster pace. Mom went straight to kindergarten / phonics with all of us, and I like to think that we ended up reasonably literate Cool

My advice, for what it's worth, is to advance your daughter to kindergarten. It sounds like she's ready, and the closer your children are to one another academically, the easier it will be to teach both at once (or to have them check each other's work, later on).
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught my OCt birthed, son when he was in prechool for his third year. I taugh him Kindergarten in the afternoons, then the next year we homeschooled, and even though he is techinically a Kindergartener, he is on a first grade curriculum. It has worked very well, because his older brother is at about the same level and they do a lot of the same things.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
ldowns9315
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the situation we're in, and, even though we call it "preschool", she's basically just doing either the same things that my kindergarten student is, or other worksheets I've printed off the computer.

I also don't make it a big deal; if she wants to get down and play, I let her, and don't worry about it.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindergarten vs Preschool in home w/homeschool sibling? Reply with quote

My two oldest are 13 months apart and I didn't want them doing the exact same things at the same time because the younger one is quicker than the older. I didn't want my older child to feel bad because his younger sister got ahead of him. So I've always kept him part of a grade ahead of her. I don't feel any need to keep any of my kids on a Sept-May schedule, so he started Kindergarten in January and she started the following November. They are now in 11th grade. He started that last September and she started it in May. They've always done some things together and some things separately. I was unable to keep her from teaching herself to read before she turned 5, but I still made her go through all the same reading books he had used--8 months after he used them.

If my kids were equally quick or the older one were quicker, I'd probably have had them do everything together.

Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: