Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming Home, Staying Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Coming Home, Staying Home Reply with quote

I just worry about all these extracurrliculars taking over. We want the best for our kids, but in trying to do too much, we risk destroying what we have. During the years I lived in OK while homeschooling, my kids were in Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, 4H, art lessons, dance lessons, soccer, the Home School Support Group, Home School Fridays (we met once a month for team teaching, workshops, and such), horse riding lessons, gymnastics, Suzuki music lessons (twelve classes a week!), my son took a week-long community ed class on construction, three of them had paper routes, they were in religion classes at church, and we went on field trips. Not all at once, mind you, but in the span of four years!

DOn't do this to yourself! I felt llike printing a bumper sticker that read "If I'm a homeschooling mom, why do I feel like I live in the car?" It was too true to be funny.

When we moved to NC, I had had enough. They dropped out of everything except soccer, and my son stayed with Boy Scouts. (He's an Eagle Scout now). As a family, we got involved in community theater, and were all on stage in the same musical. That was enough. We had time to build family relationships, support and encourage one another, AND get our homeschool work done!

We don't want to duplicate the public schools! If we did, we'd send our children there. The public school children are so overwhelmed and overscheduled that they do not know how to be CHILDREN any more. Let us give our children the most precious gift we can give them. A happy childhood. All the rest - it's just stuff.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
A mentor of mine told me..."Don't let the good crowd out the best." Which meant to choose the BEST opportunities for your child's future and even though there will be other things that are good and probably worthwhile, learn to say no.
It has been good advice.
Matt Conrad
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go through a scheduled-events cycle around our house. We start making commitments one at a time and next thing you know we're overscheduled and running around nearly every day. So we start cutting back--until we're sitting around the house too much, and it all starts over again.

When we started homeschooling I thought eventually we'd figure it all out and have a nice smooth road that we could follow for years and years. It has been years now and hasn't happened yet . . . Smile
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the summer, we don't do any scheduled activities or sports. I like to have the summer free to go camping for a few weeks if I want or to go out of state to visit family. Also, the PS kids are always at my house during the summer months so my kids have plenty of friends to interact with.

We try to schedule things for the winter months when we're all couped up in the house and ready to kill each other. LOL Laughing
AngelaBreckenridge
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also give them a chance to enjoy summer make activities near in the beach. I'm sure they can be loving it. Make StudyGeek to get some advisable activities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: