Homeschooling laws in NY?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

janineb781
User

Homeschooling laws in NY?

Postby janineb781 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 am

HI

I am from WNY. The laws are really not that difficult and k can be pretty easy. Are you planning on starting this fall? If so will your son be 6 by Dec 1st? If yes then you need to send a letter of intent (just saying I am going to homeschool) to the Superintendent of your district by July 1st. You will also need to turn in quarterly reports for him but since there is no formal curriculum for k you just need a paragraph about what you have done. If your son is not 6 by Dec 1st you do not need to report this year.

Here is a link to a good packet by our district. It answers alot of the questions http://www.rhnet.org/files/479/Manual.pdf06-07.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Maureen

twistedmaples
User

great NY homeschool law link

Postby twistedmaples » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:43 pm

I just started homeschooling this past fall - my girls are older, 11 & 13. I found this link that has the entire NY state law spelled out.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf

You will need to file IHIPs (not a big deal, just Google "NY IHIP" example if you want to see some) every year. (Remember: YOU get to set the dates that you will submit quarterly reports) When I started, a friend sent me a couple old copies of her kids' reports. I just used her format to start and copied over with my kids' names. It helped a lot. Let me know if you need something to use as a template.

Good luck!
Beth L
Indian Lake

CG83
User

Postby CG83 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi, I will be homeschooling my two kids this coming school year and I was wondering if you still had that template for the quarterly reports I will have to send in. If you did could you send it my way it would help me out a lot. Thanks

Crissy
NY

Return to “Homeschool Law”