Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcript..

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sparrow
User

Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcript..

Postby Sparrow » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 pm

My 11th grader is taking a couple of courses (duel enrolled) at community college. Should I reflect on the highschool transcript I'm making the grade the college gives her?? or should I give the next higher grade as she's doing college work as a highschooler? (I know some homeschoolers do this, but is this the norm?) If I give the grade the college gives, should this be reflected on her highschool transcript as an "honors" course & therefore worth more (weighted) credit?

Also, she's taking some CLEP exams. She's taking a history CLEP test after taking the course in our homeschool. She's also taking College Math and English Composition CLEP tests WITHOUT taking corresponding courses here at home. Assuming she passes these & gets the college credits, should I list all of these as courses with grades on the highschool transcript, also indicating, of course, that the CLEP test was taken? (Example would be listing on transcript: College Math, College Composition 1, as courses).

Thanks very much for any help. I don't recall ever seeing these questions answered before.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcri

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:49 pm

homescholar
User

Re: Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcri

Postby homescholar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Blessings,
Lee Binz
The HomeScholar
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:10 am

janaleigh
User

Postby janaleigh » Thu May 14, 2009 8:38 am

There are two options for the Community College course-either increase her letter grade one grade higher-this is common.

...Or note the class as an honors level class on her transcript. I would do one of these but not both. Universitities are fine with seeing a lowere grade (say a B instead of an A) in an honors level course.

For the classes that she took a CLEP test after completing-I would give her the grade she earned in your home school and not even mention the CLEP test. The CLEP test does validate her work if they are concerned about the level but best of all, she's earned college credits.

It sounds like you are doing a great job preparing her for the future and helping her get some early college units!

Take Care,
Jana
Jana marriend to Mike 20 Years
2 Sons, ages 15 and 17
Homeschooling 7+ years
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
http://www.summerhouseliving.com

Return to “High School / College Prep”