Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home School Swim Class in La Mirada, CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityoflamirada
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Home School Swim Class in La Mirada, CA Reply with quote

Hello,

The City of La Mirada's Aquatics Center has just opened up a Home School Physical Education Swim Class.

The class is designed to meet the physical education needs for the home school student. Participants will improve their basic water skills and physical fitness. The course will cover basic skills and knowledge in swimming, water polo, board diving, and basic water safety skills.

Ages 6-16, $30

following dates:
11-11:50am Tuesday/Thursday 2/3-2/26
11-11:50am Tuesday/Thursday 3/3-3/26

MORE DATES DO COME(one class per month)

Inquire further at:
cityoflamirada.org
or call us here at the Aquatics Center: (562) 902-3191
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I wouldn't allow advertising (see forum policy), but in this case I'm letting it ride, since the classes are cheap. I assume there's no hidden fees such as people having to pay for pool membership as well to participate?
Andrea Thomas
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Great Idea Reply with quote

You see, this has always been my main concern about home schooling. I believe that kids who study at home, doesn't get a lot of opportunity to do any physical activity unlike if they're at school. This is probably the main reason why I see this as a positive thing. It'll definitely give home school children a chance to interact with their peers and at the same time be able to exercise. For me, interaction with our peers is as important as our academic capabilities. Education does not only teach us mentally, but socially as well. I've always been interested with education, so if you want to read a couple of my writings feel free to visit my site http://www.buzztalkland.com/author/andreatm.html Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Idea Reply with quote

You're not a homeschooler, are you? Because if you were (1) you'd kow that homeschoolers have many opportunities for physical activity, far more than if they were in school, and (2) interaction with peers is not all it's cracked up to be, but homeschoolers have many positive opportunities to interact with people of all ages, which is far more useful in their development than interacting only with their age peers.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sitting in a classroom for 7 or 8 hours doesn't really constitute physical activity. Yes, there's gym class, but it's fairly easy to avoid doing much in that, and more and more schools are eliminating recess entirely, due probably to the handful of scumbags who sue because their kid got injured on the playground. Homeschooling offers just as much, if not more, scope for physical activity, especially unstructured physical activity, which in my opinion is the best kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: