Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combining Charlotte Mason & Unit Studies curriculum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CindyLou
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Combining Charlotte Mason & Unit Studies curriculum? Reply with quote

Hi - does anyone know if there are any pre-packaged/designed Christian Homeschool curriculum that combines the Charlotte Mason with Unit Studies (and is rich in literature and history)?

I've been looking at My Father's World - their website states they combine these styles with a strong Biblical perspective (perfect!). Has anyone used MFW? Likes? Dislikes?

I was looking forward to actually looking at their curriculum materials and attending their workshops at our upcoming state homeschooling convention - but I just found out that for some reason they've cancelled their workshop and MFW won't even have a booth at the convention! I'm so dissappointed! I was really looking forward to "seeing before buying".

So I was wondering if there was other curriculum out there that matched our criteria - without me having to piece-meal it all together. I'm an older mom, first-time homeschooler, and need an "all-in-one" complete curriculum with a teacher's manual that will tell me everything I need to do.

I **LOVE** the gentle Charlotte Mason approach, and I also like the idea of unit studies (I consider myself somewhat creative). My husband loves the classics and grew up with no TV and lots of books (his mom was a librarian!). We both are HUGE history and geography buffs -(with a dabble of politics thrown in just to make things interesting!). I'd like to be able to teach history in chronological order. And of course, what is most important to us is to have a curriculum with a strong biblical world-view incorporated throughout - not just a bible study thrown in.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
JenniferSylvie
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy Lou;

Have you looked at www.amblesideonline.org? They offer a year by year guide with book lists, schedules and all kinds of info for CM. Most of it is available free, even some of the recommended books. My DS is only 3yo, so we don't "officially" do school yet, but I love the CM style. I've bought bunches of books, including her original series. Very good information. My DS enjoys reading time and outdoor exploration, so we are on the right track. Good Luck with your search. If you want to trade info let me know, I'll send you my email address.

Jennifer and Max
unitstudydad
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: some suggestions Reply with quote

I think the ages of your children would make a difference. My father's world is great for relative new homeschoolers- esp if you haven't tried unit studies before. They tend to cater to younger ages. For middle school up you might consider Tapestrys of Grace or Learning Adventures. These are a bit more challenging, but very rewarding. You need to watch what components each on stresses. MFW is fairly integrated in all subjects. LA is very heavy on english- little other language is needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: