Virtual Music Lessons

Since surveys keep getting posted, here is a place to put them.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Would you opt to use online music lessons for music curriculum requirements?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Yes
No votes
No
50%
Perhaps, if affordable
50%
Perhaps, if it had a large instrument instructor base
No votes

Total votes: 6

737anne
User

Virtual Music Lessons

Postby 737anne » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm doing my doctorate in music education, e-learning technology. I need to get some research data for one of my studies. Would you mind taking a moment and providing me with a little input on how you fulfill your music education requirements...
Has anyone used a virtual school of music service for music lessons for their HSers? (not dvds, but real teacher to student lessons).
Secondly, as a HS parent, what would be the selling points for letting your HSer take online music lessons?

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 pm

The selling points, if this worked for us, would be, no driving to ANOTHER activity, (being so unsocialized :)), another perk, hopefully would it be cheaper, and more than one child could potentially take a lesson at the same time.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 am

I don't think I would use something like this. I, as an instrumentalist, wouldn't have done well with lessons that were virtual. I needed that teacher there to be able to position my hands right or put my finger where it should be or help me position my instrument, or how to hold my bow, or how to stand. I think there is a lot to be said about being taught by an actual live person who is standing in the room with you. Even if you can see the person on the screen doing it, if your parent doesn't understand either then there is no one to actually position your body, hands, fingers, or instrument. You just have to do the best you can by watching someone else on a screen and hope you are getting it right. Even if you have a webcam and they can see you too while you are taking the lesson it isn't the same as having someone who is able to actually watch over your shoulder or walk around you watching and listening while you play. The internet has a lot of great uses but I really think that this just isn't one of them, but that is just my opinion.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:25 am

I forgot to answer the first part of your question...I teach my kids music theory and how to play the stringed instrument or instruments of their choice (violin, viola, cello, bass) and they take piano lessons from their Grandmother (yes, I know that is a stringed instrument but I can't play it that well). Music has always been big in my house though. I have been playing since I was seven and before I moved I played in a Symphony Orchestra. My children used to come to rehearsals and my husband always brought them to my concerts so that experience was part of their education too. I don't buy any special curriculum I get free stuff online and use my own personal knowledge. It seems to work for my kids.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 am

I guess that is where I have an advantage. The only thing I learned during my senior year was how to play everyone's instruments in the band. I may not be proficient enough to teach, but I can tell when they aren't holding, or positioned correctly. So maybe this would be great for parents who have some musical ability but can't take all the time to do it themselves.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

737anne
User

Postby 737anne » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's interesting to hear your responses on the continual need for actual hands-on teaching even though the visual and auditory teaching is present with online learning. I look forward to hear any other comments/posts.

groovyhsmama
User

Postby groovyhsmama » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36 am

I would love this oppurtunity. I can play a keyboard/piano and would love it if the kids knew how to read music and so on.
Groovy
HSing mom to my 5yo ds

Return to “Homeschool Surveys”