Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wellness Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Wellness Ideas Reply with quote

I am perpetually sleep-deprived, never find the time for "real" exercise, and (although, I provide fairly balanced meals for the kids) hardly take in my nutritional needs. I can never seem to remember my own vitamins and supplements. Is it any wonder that I catch EVERYTHING that comes through our home?

IF I concentrated on the above mentioned issues, I would surely see improvements in my immune responses.

Since I have 2 sons that still require help in the toileting area, I am a neurotic handwasher. Surely, I am avoiding some illnesses by maintaining this practice. Now, if I could only remember to apply lotion to my dried, cracked hands!

What do you do during the cold/flu season that seems to work for you and your families?
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flu shot.
rhi
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, using a lot of antibacterial products is said to actually bring down your defenses of getting these pesky illnesses. And although a flu shot will help it will help for only that strain of the flu, you could probably get another strain that may come around. Your best bet is to take your vitamins and eat the healthy meals you prepare the kiddos. Good Luck to you!
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minniewannabe wrote:
A flu shot.

Wow. That's it?
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhi wrote:
Actually, using a lot of antibacterial products is said to actually bring down your defenses of getting these pesky illnesses. And although a flu shot will help it will help for only that strain of the flu, you could probably get another strain that may come around. Your best bet is to take your vitamins and eat the healthy meals you prepare the kiddos. Good Luck to you!

Not sure who said anything about antibacterial products?

I agree with you on the flu shot.

I appreciate your advice. Would I be correct in assuming that the suggestions are the things that work for you and your family?
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is an EMT -- so we get our fair share of germs.

I make him take his work clothes off in the laundry room and I spray his suitcase and boots with Lysol when he comes home.

I use hand sanitizer a lot and clean the bathrooms at least once a day with pine-sol.

I also regularly make up a batch of homemade chicken/garlic soup....mmmm, delicious AND healthy.

I also try to avoid taking the kids to places where there are sure to be sick kids.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat power foods - garlic, thyme, vinegar, honey, clementines, chamomile, and yogurt. The first five to help fight off anything I *might* be getting, the chamomile to keep me calm and relaxed (higher stress makes you more susceptible) and the yogurt to keep my gut flora balanced and fight off stomach bugs.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flu shot is a mix of stuff to hopefully protect you from the most common strains of flu going around in the current season, but it's sort of hit or miss and does in fact lower your resistance to disease for a bit. Not something I'd really recommend unless you're a medical worker.

As for naturally protecting your health - eat well, sleep regularly, try to keep as unstressed as possible. Wipe surfaces such as doorknobs, stair railings, handles on various items, etc. that tend to pick up germs. There's also a bunch of different stuff you can take that may improve your immune system, such as echinacea and wheat germ, but not coming in contact with germs in the first place is probably a good idea if you can manage it.
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in times like this, we make sure that we get our vitamins/supplements and we eat more healthy food... so far, were doing good... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: