Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freaking out about Saxon placement test

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Freaking out about Saxon placement test Reply with quote

My daughter (previously homeschooled until this year, now in private school 3rd grade) just took the saxon placement test. According to their scores, she should begin in book 76. Is this crazy for an 8 year old? We went through the test together and I explained a new concept if we came across one however, she supplied the answers and then did some extra problems that I made up to show that she new how to do it. I am going to be bringing her home at Christmas break to be homeschooled again. Should I really put her in 76 or make her start 54 instead?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the placement test is accurate, no point holding her back just because she's a bit ahead. I know of homeschooled kids who've done Calculus at age 12...
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with 76 and if you find she is having a hard time with it then you can always go back to the 54 book. My concern is that you had to go over some of the concepts when she was taking the test. The best way to get an accurate assesment is to just let them do it. If they do not know a concept well then they could not do that problem and it gives you the information you need to know. You really want to make sure they she has a good foundation on basic arithmetic, fractions and so on as you are moving towards algebra. Now do I think an 8 year old can handle 76 yes there are some who are ready. Look at both books and see what you really think she can do.
rhi
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually told by our mentor teacher that Saxon is about 2 years behind where a child should be. But I'm not sure if that's true. She wants my dd to skip pr-algebra and go straight into algebra. But my dd is really good with math.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxon is actually used by many ps districts. As a former Math teacher I can tell you it is not behind other programs just set up differently. A traditional program will work through one topic at a time where as Saxon breaks it up and then will build upon it. There is alot more review and practice of topics that have been covered in previous sections than in most traditional textbooks. Maybe that is why they said it was two years behind because of the review building, I do not know. I can tell you that in the high school courses they go into alot more depth than traditional textbooks and use terminology that is traditionally used in college courses. Sd has done so much better with Saxon and is really excelling in Math now.
ruby.mein
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
homeschooled kids who've done Calculus at age 12...

How would this students enjoy their childhood?... Ive done calculus when I was in high school.... it that too early for them?
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids who do Calculus at 12 are the exception not the rule. It would depend on the child. I do know one child locally who is homeschooled who will be doing Calculus at age 12 or 13. He is a math and science wiz kid. The boy writes computer programs for fun. To him he is enjoying his child. Now do I think my kids are ready for Calculus at that age, no. I would not even attempt it. It really just depends on the child.
rhi
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschickie wrote:
Saxon is actually used by many ps districts. As a former Math teacher I can tell you it is not behind other programs just set up differently. A traditional program will work through one topic at a time where as Saxon breaks it up and then will build upon it. There is alot more review and practice of topics that have been covered in previous sections than in most traditional textbooks. Maybe that is why they said it was two years behind because of the review building, I do not know. I can tell you that in the high school courses they go into alot more depth than traditional textbooks and use terminology that is traditionally used in college courses. Sd has done so much better with Saxon and is really excelling in Math now.

Whatever the reason, I don't care. i just know my kids are doing much, much better with it versus math-u-see which just frustrated them. Now I hear no complaints, they are able to do their work and they know exactly what they are doing and confident about it. But thank you so much for explaining it to me, I do appreciate it. I just know I really like the books.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Freaking out about Saxon placement test Reply with quote

kkapfe wrote:
My daughter (previously homeschooled until this year, now in private school 3rd grade) just took the saxon placement test. According to their scores, she should begin in book 76. Is this crazy for an 8 year old? We went through the test together and I explained a new concept if we came across one however, she supplied the answers and then did some extra problems that I made up to show that she new how to do it. I am going to be bringing her home at Christmas break to be homeschooled again. Should I really put her in 76 or make her start 54 instead?

You might have skewed the results by explaining concepts to her. In fact, you might have skewed the results by going through it with her instead of letting her do it alone.

I would not put an 8yo in Math 76. I'd do Math 54.

I do not believe for an instant that Saxon math is behind other publishers, certainly not 2 grade levels. Saxon has over 20 years of success in public and private schools, "success" being defined as not only more students taking advanced maths but also those students going on to college and scoring well there, too.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschickie wrote:
Kids who do Calculus at 12 are the exception not the rule. It would depend on the child. I do know one child locally who is homeschooled who will be doing Calculus at age 12 or 13. He is a math and science wiz kid. The boy writes computer programs for fun. To him he is enjoying his child. Now do I think my kids are ready for Calculus at that age, no. I would not even attempt it. It really just depends on the child.

Heh, Dad introduced me to programming in Basic on our Apple computer when I was 9 or 10, and I was writing pretty advanced stuff by the time I was 13 or so. The first book I ever bought was on QBasic. Smile I would also multiply huge numbers by hand just to see if I could. Maybe some people would find that odd, but if you have a mind geared towards numbers, doing that sort of thing is fun. When the web started, of course, I just had to learn how to do HTML, Javascript, Perl, PHP, etc., and I now do programming and web design for work.

Incidently, I was doing Algebra II at age 12, and I could probably have gone from there to Calculus if I'd worked at it a bit. As it so happened, I never got around to it until college, but that's beside the point...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: