Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALWAYS LATE...or SUPER SLOW..or continually distracted!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momto2girlygirls
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: ALWAYS LATE...or SUPER SLOW..or continually distracted! Reply with quote

OK - I made my title as it is because that is what i searched and came up with nothing! I'm homeschooling my sweetest ever dd. We are in our 2nd year, she is in 2nd grade. She's an artist, loves her 2 pets & music. She has an amazing heart and loves to be helpful & create gifts for others. According to my dh, she inherited his complete and total lack of time reference!! He's very laid back. (we also have a 3yo dd)

I'm finding myself constantly addressing the issue of being LATE to the school table, moving at snail's pace through chores (seriously - a snail...she can take 30 minutes to brush her hair), being distracted from what she's supposed to be doing, etc. This has become chronic. I don't know what to do! I don't want to constantly have to "address" this with her, I need some tried and true FIXES/TECHNIQUES that you have tried and seen good results from!!! I know I cannot be the only one who deals with this!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ALWAYS LATE...or SUPER SLOW..or continually distracted! Reply with quote

momto2girlygirls wrote:
I'm finding myself constantly addressing the issue of being LATE to the school table, moving at snail's pace through chores (seriously - a snail...she can take 30 minutes to brush her hair), being distracted from what she's supposed to be doing, etc. This has become chronic. I don't know what to do! I don't want to constantly have to "address" this with her, I need some tried and true FIXES/TECHNIQUES that you have tried and seen good results from!!! I know I cannot be the only one who deals with this!

She is still young enough that you *are* going to have to keep addressing this with her. She is way too young not to have your oversight. You can do things like set timers and whatnot, but you are still going to have to be on her.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Elei
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mom of the girly girls,

Now I have a boyly boy who is just like your daughter. He is also in 2nd grade now and this is our second year of homeschooling. And he is soooo sloooow.

I sometimes say in a joke that he has 3 different speeds: Slow, very slow, and not moving at all.
But sometimes it is NOT funny at all.
I've tried (and am trying) EVERYTHING: timers (I have two, one for schoolwork and one for eating), stars and all kinds of motivations programs, punishing, praising, taking away priviliges, kissing and hugging whatever you can imagine, but it just doesn't work, he doesn't care, he is slow slow slow.

He's with his shoes in his hand by the door, he's with the door of the car open waiting for I don't know what before he gets out, he can sit half an hour looking at his food before beginning, he can write 2 sums in half an hour and be doing "nothing" the rest of the time.

If anybody has any any suggestions please let us know.
By the way: HE CAN RUN VERY FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused Question
Elei.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stole a Waldorf idea and use music. We have a 'good morning' playlist that sets the tone and pace for the morning chores ( Here Comes The Sun, the 2 songs from Lilo and Stitch, I'm Mad (animaniacs) and a few other more random ones)
We start off school with the theme from Schoolhouse Rock. Right now our current playlist is Mannheim Steamroller - it helps keep the pace going for more dull tasks, like writing exercises.

Punishments/rewards don't work here. I think Alfie Kohn was dead on when he said the reward is just a punishment - they're both the carrot on the stick, except one's the carrot and the other's the stick. Same thing, two different ways of getting there. The reward's the nicer version of the stick - "If you get the work done I'll play a game with you" is a nice way of saying "if you don't work, I won't play with you."

Your dd is old enough to appreciate the stories from Mrs. Piggle-wiggle, too. Laughing Whenever I feel my patience really straining we sit down with a chapter and read her magic (or not so magic!) cure about what's ailing our home. The laughter and idea that we're not alone with the problem seem to help immensely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: