Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help for math and science

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awest7268
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: help for math and science Reply with quote

My 11 yo daughter is in 6th grade. She has ADHD and struggles with reading and math, anyone have any suggestions? Also looking for a good science curriculum. She needs something to keep her interest. [/b]
dillsmom
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Can't help you.Just letting you know .I know how you feel.My sons 15 with add and I ordered apologia science,physical science which is not gonna work for him because knowing algebra is required now I have to send this back.I will tell you mathusee is what I decided on for math and I'm really liking.it I think this is gonna work really well.Its costly but worth it.If you find a science pass it on.
sheng25
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to be a private tutor for years and helped a lot of kids with learning disabilities including ADD and ADHD. These students as you know lose interest easily especially from schoolwork. They prefer to socialize often. Sometimes I learned that they especially have difficulty focusing when a teaching style is not compatible or simply a parent is helping them rather than another authority figure.
mathops1
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Prealgebra/Algebra Reply with quote

Check out the free lessons on mathops.com. There are videos with teenage honor students teaching the math. The lessons read aloud to the students. There is a lot built in to help an ADD student stay focused.

If you have any questions, send me an email: mathops2@gmail.com.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADHD is often easily solved by just having your child do some vigorous exercise before studying, then segmenting the studying itself into 30-minute chunks with short breaks. Cutting back on TV, computer time, etc. will also generally improve a child's ability to concentrate, and for obvious reasons sugar should be avoided.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: