Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Testing For Our Kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lydiavj
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: National Testing For Our Kids Reply with quote

Hello,

Just wondering if any of you test your kids nationally through the public schools or if there is another way to do it just to see where they are at nationally?

How often should that be done?

Thanks,

Lilly

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certified Iowa Basic Test Administrator and that is what I will be doing with my kids. Missouri, were I live, does not require any testing, but for my own piece of mind I would like to, just to see if my kids are keeping up or ahead of the average. I am also a Stanford administrator too.

If you go here: http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/tests.html you can see if you qualify to be a test administrator or you can find people who are certified to be test administor to give the test for you. One of the things it ask on the applications if you want your name and phone number to be in a data base for others to contact you if they want you to test their children.
LasPlagas
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the Iowa every year. I'm pretty proud of my grades with them too. Aparently I had math like a sophmore in college in 7th grade. Razz
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: testing Reply with quote

Though our state does not require testing, I decided a few years ago to subject my girls to testing through the local public school. They were put into a classroom with a teacher and children they did not know. This teacher was having a horrible day- and yelled and screamed at the kids. One of girls ended up crying and doing horrible on a few sections of her test.
My advice- whatever testing you do, make sure that your child is in an environment that is as familiar and stress free as possible. I have heard that our hs group has certified IOWA test admins also. I think that this is the best way to go- and am checking into it for this year.
good luck
Jill
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can give some of the nationally normed tests yourself (the CAT test for example). There is a company called Thurbers that rents it.
Our state requires a nationally normed test of homeschoolers, but not of public schooled kids (they use a state test only.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: