Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi New here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisy
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Hi New here Reply with quote

Look forward to getting to know all of you, going to be my first year hs'ing this year and I am really looking forward to it. Happy to be here Very Happy
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: My First Year As Well! Reply with quote

This coming year will be my first year homeschooling as well. I have two boys (9 and 6 1/2). How old are your kids?
Chrisy
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one boy and he will be 8 in july, he's my grandson and lives with us.

Good luck with your hs'ing, I can't wait to start but I am being realistic about it...I know he needs time over the summer to de-school then we will start nice an easy to begin with and let him have some fun. He needs it to help him get over the bullying he's gone through this year and to get school out of his head, he keeps asking me where I am going to put my desk and the 'big board' as he calls it, and where will his locker be Laughing
the last one was will I be able to keep my backpack under the desk now or still have to hang it up!!!! that still makes me chuckle Rolling Eyes when i told him he wont need a backpack he wanted to know how he would be able to carry everything to school, now how do you answer that without laughing? my reply was that his trip to school would be a little different this year.....one lap around the back yard on the tractor while i stood ringing the school bell on the back porch, needles to say he was crying laughing at me....

Chrissy
jan
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: hello! Reply with quote

just wanted to say hello and join the first year newbie club! we will begin hsing in the fall with the start of a new school year 2006-2007 school year. i have a son 9 and daughter 8. they will be in the 3rd and 4th grade levels. so glad to know that i am not alone!
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not alone. In doing my research, I have met alot of people who are planning to begin homeschooling next year. Where do you live in WV, Jan?
jan
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: newbie club! Reply with quote

I live in the southern part of west virginia, in nicholas county. Today was the last day of school for my children. I had this sick feeling in the
pit of my stomach all day. Am I doing the right thing ? Can I really do
this? The whole time while I sat and watched the talent show , all I
could think about was do you really think you can do this? I did stop thinking about it ,but only long enough to be nervous for my kids. While it was their turn to do their drama to the song the untitled hymn by Chris Rice. By the way they did excellent!!!! Then the sick feeling about hsing came back over me again. I have to say that my sons school teacher was so nice and very supportive. She told me that her own sister hsed through elementary school. She also offered to help in any way that she could. If I needed help or just ideas with anything just to let her know. Sorry I didn't mean to ramble this site is just such a good outlet of support and info I am so glad to have found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that I am not alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow's my kids' last day of school. I am nervous because it is a big change, but I know it is the right change for my kids. Have you been thinking about any curriculums you might want to use for your kids?
jan
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: what to use ? what to use? Reply with quote

HAVE YOU BEEN LOOKING? THERE IS SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM AND EACH THING SOUNDS BETTER THAN THE LAST! FOR MATH IAM LEANING TOWARD THE MATH-U-SEE. I HAVE ALSO BEEN THINKING ABOUT USING A UNIT STUDY LIKE A COMPLETE BOX SET LIKE KONOS. I AM LOOKING AT HUMPTIES FOR GRAMMAR, IT LOOKS SO FUN! I HAVE YET TO COMPLETELY DECIDE ON ANYTHING YET. I KNOW THAT I WANT GOD AS THE CENTER OF OUR HS EXPIERENCE WITH EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE RELATED BACK TO GOD! I WANT SOME KIND OF BIBLE STUDY FOR SURE! MY KIDS I FEEL WILL LEARN BETTER BY DOING THINGS HANDS ON AND BY BEING ABLE TO MOVE AROUND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.MOVING AROUND KEPT MY SON IN TROUBLE ALL THE TIME IN SCHOOL.I GUESS THAT YOUR WHOLE FIRST YEAR OF HSING IS AN EXPERIMENT, TO SEE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOUR KIDS STYLE OF LEARNING, YOUR STYLE OF TEACHING AND JUST YOUR FAMILY IN GENERAL! WHAT HAVE YOU DECIDED TO USE OR WHAT ARE YOU ATLEAST THINKING OF USING? MY KIDS ARE ONLY 1 GRADE APART SO I AM WANT TO COMBINE ALL THAT I CAN.
jan
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO YOU KNOW WHAT LEARNING STYLE YOUR KIDS ARE ? ARE YOU LEANING TOWARD A CERTAIN STYLE OF LEARNING (CHARLOTTE MASON,ECLECTIC,UNSCHOOLING ECT... ) I PERSONALLY DIDN'T REALLY KNOW THERE WAS ALL OF THESE STYLES UNTIL THIS PAST YEAR! I THOUGHT ALL LEARNING WAS LIKE THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IN A BUILDING AT A DESK FOR 6-8 HRS PER DAY (LIKE IT OR NOT) TEACHING ONLY WHAT THE GOVERNMENT REQUIRES TO BE NEEDED. HSING OPENS UP A WHOLE AVENUE OF LEARNING THAT I NEVER EVEN REALIZED WAS POSSIBLE!
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the book 100 Top Picks for Homechool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy yet? It helped me determine my kids' learning styles, and then the best curriculums to match those learning styles. This is what I'm thinking of using so far:

Andrew(9) - Math - Saxon
Science - Homeschool Science by Stratton House
History - Winterpromise (American Story 1)
Language Arts - Learning Language Arts through Literature or Winterpromise

John (6 1/2) - Math - Math U See
Science - Homeschool Science by Stratton House
History - Winterpromise (American Story 1)
Language Arts - Learning Language Arts through Literature or Winterpromise

I know what you mean by combining. I am planning on combining my kids for History and Science and working with them on their level for math and language arts. I have also bought an art book to use, and I am planning to use the sports they participate in for their PE and possibly an supplemental class in the community for music, but I do want to get the basics down first.

Have you hooked up with any homeschool groups in your community yet?
jan
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CATHY DUFFY BOOK WAS THE VERY FIRST HS BOOK I READ AND IT HAS BEEN AWHILE. I PROBABLY NEED TO LOOK BACK OVER IT, I THINK THAT MY KIDS FELL UNDER THE WIGGLY WILLY AND THE SOCIABLE SUE GROUPS. I HAVE YET TO HOOK UP WITH A GROUP. I LIVE IN A RURAL AREA AND ONLY KNOW OF 1 FAMILY THAT HS. I HAVE TALKED TO HER A FEW TIMES AND SHE HAS BEEN HELPFUL. SHE SIAD THERE IS ANOTHER FAMILY NEAR US, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE. I REALLY HAVEN'T BEEN SEEKING PEOPLE OUT. HAVE YOU JOINED A GROUP YET? TODAY I WENT TO OUR PUBLIC LIBRARY TO SEE IF THEY HAD THAT MARY PRIDE BOOK "A COMPLETE GIUDE TO HS" OR ANY GOOD HS HELP BOOK. I COULDN'T FIND ANY, THERE WAS ONE ANTI-HS BOOK AND BOOKS ON EDUCATION AND HOW TO TEACH. THE BOOKS I FOUND WERE GEARED TOWARD PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS OR TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HELP THEIR PRE-SCHOOLER GET A HEAD START. I TALKED TO THE LIBRARIAN AND SHE SIAD THAT THEY DIDN'T REALLY HAVE ANY TYPE OF HS BOOKS BECAUSE THEY REALLY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH CALL FOR THEM. SHE ADDED THE BOOK TO HER ORDER LIST. SHE SIAD IT WILL BE ABOUT 2 WEEKS.
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've joined the yahoo groups for our local city and county homeschool groups and have talked to several nice people from that. The county group is going to be having homeschool park days all summer which I'm planning to take my boys to. There is also a homeschooled boy on Andrew's baseball team, and I've enjoyed talking to the boy's mother about homeschooling. I've also been able to check out some great resources from our library. I'm glad your librarian was able to order the book for you and that you have met a family that homeschools in your area. I know that will help you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: