Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading lists necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reading lists necessary? Reply with quote

Should I just read any book or should there be certain books I must read to my 4 year old, have my 7 & 8 year old to read? I don't want to teach my kids stuff that contradicts the Bible, by reading books like that to them (my 8 year old loves Dinosaurs). Or am I being too protective?
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any book is fine. About an "Index*" style of list, I don't think that's okay, either. I mean, talk about your beliefs and why the book is/isn't true, but hiding information leads to discontent and an unwillingness to believe. You have to go in with an open heart and be forthcoming.

*The Index is the banned book list for Catholics. It's not very popular anymore but was up through the middle of the century.

mamaholly
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as the pp mentioned. We discussed how it fit with what we believed. We had wonderful conversations well before I would have ever dreamed of introducing them but they were grasped easily because they were in context.

My favorite was when he noted that some books said the inner core of the earth was heavy metals and other books said more magma, still others said gas. They all spoke the particular theory as fact. Very few books mentioned that scientists "guessed" or weren't sure or "thought" this and such about the core. The truth is that no one has been there. They simply can't know. But because of previous conversations regarding evolution in books, he noticed the discrepancies and was able to articulate that they couldn't actually know what they were talking about. That was at 5.

The key here is reading with them so the discussion can happen.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any child's book will be OK. Usually toddler books are pretty benign. I have found it is when they get to be old enough to pick out their own books that I have to be careful. I am careful but not over protective. I realize that my kids have to know what is out there so when they finally leave home they aren't surprised.

I do have some rules though...no adult "relations", no "F" bombs, little to know other language issues (there are exceptions for books like Mark Twain, but those are read in the older grades), no themes that are improper for their age. I don't mind if they read fantasy but I have to approve of it, so far they haven't asked for any they can't read.

As for being to protective...I don't think you are. Their minds soak everything up right now and in my opinion now is the time to be a little more protective because eventually they are going to start asserting their own opinions and you want them to have good judgment.

My daughter liked the magic tree house series when she was 7/8. Some people don't like these books because they travel to different places and times, but I don't have a problem with fantasy and feel like it encourages a good imagination. In fact we incorporated them into history, science, and language arts. You might also read little golden books or choose your own adventure books. There are tons of dinosaur books out there for kids. I would keep getting those he likes them.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the posts have articulated it well. You must be aware of what your children are reading and be available to discuss those things that do not fit with your beliefs and why they don't fit.

Knowing the other point of view and why you/they should disagree is essential for them to do to be able to defend their faith, especially as they get older. I think people who shelter their kids from the other point of view are limiting thier children's ability to have an informed debate (and possibly lead someone to become a believer) later in life.

I'm not saying you should have an in depth discussion with you 4 year old on the Big Bang Theory. Of course, all topics should be discussed as appropriate for your child's age.

Teaching at home is a perfect place for this type of discussion.

Best wishes.
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many great suggestions from Sonlight, Well Trained Mind, etc. for this age. Check out their sites. I have combined about a dozen such lists into a single website you can search by age, etc, that may help you as well. See the link in my signature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: