Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

curriculum for 8th grade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becqui
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: curriculum for 8th grade? Reply with quote

I have decided to homeschool my daughter this fall and need advice on curriculum for an 8th grader who currently does not enjoy reading. Need something more hands on to keep it interesting and fun.
ccmmum
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest looking into programs like KONOS, WinterPromise, or other unit type studies.
Or if you prefer DVDs, BJU gets good reviews.
I personally don't like alot of hands on stuff and we use Alpha Omega Lifepacs. I don't feel that they are too much reading-in fact I am always adding books to our school time.
Alisa
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try the Switch-On Schoolhouse curriculum through Alpha Omega. It is computer based and your daughter might enjoy that more than a typical textbook format.
Becqui
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just happen to be checking out the demo for AlphaOmega SOS
and was kinda leaning towards that and maybe some of the LifePacs to try out and then add some other stuff if needed.
Becky13
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Me too... Reply with quote

I also have a 13-yr old daughter going into 8th grade who wants to homeschool this year, and also hates to read. I am looking at the Alpha Omega Academy, with the SOS option, and the enhanced services so she can contact a teacher when she needs help. She's had so much trouble with bullying, harrassment, girls threatening to beat her up, etc., that she just can't handle school anymore, and is begging to homeschool. We tried the homeschooling for 6th grade, using SOS CDs, as I was only working part-time then, then she went back to school last year for 7th grade, and things just got worse with the girls (this is a private school, by the way...). Problem is, I'm working full time again, and won't have as much time to work with her. Her grandmother is retired, and can take her during the day, I'm just not sure how much help she's going to be, and don't want to overwhelm her with having to school my daughter. I sent you a private message with more info.

Did you settle on a curriculum for your daughter yet?
sweetpea
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your daughter like working on the computer? If so, a computer based or web-based curriculum may be the way to go. My 8th grader is currently using Time4Learning. It's a web-based Pre-K-8 curriculum that uses CompassLearning Odyssey (formerly ChildU).

My son doesn't like to read either--or write for that matter. He likes T4L because the lessons are presented in a multi-media format with lots of animation, etc. to keep his interest.

http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool-curriculum.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: