Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Send your kids for part of the day to public school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juloyes
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Send your kids for part of the day to public school? Reply with quote

Would you consider this? I can send my third grade son for reading, art, and recess to the small school in our town. I have a kindergartener, 18 month old, and I'm expecting my fourth child in November. I feel overwhelmed, but I know we have a good thing going (his scores are fantastic). I guess I want the best of both worlds? I want him to have time with his buddies but I don't want to sacrifice his academic gifts and I want his education to be thoroughly Christian.

Any help. I've been praying so much about this but still don't know what to do...school starts next week here.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Send your kids for part of the day to public school? Reply with quote

Juloyes wrote:
Would you consider this? I can send my third grade son for reading, art, and recess to the small school in our town. I have a kindergartener, 18 month old, and I'm expecting my fourth child in November. I feel overwhelmed, but I know we have a good thing going (his scores are fantastic). I guess I want the best of both worlds? I want him to have time with his buddies but I don't want to sacrifice his academic gifts and I want his education to be thoroughly Christian.

Any help. I've been praying so much about this but still don't know what to do...school starts next week here.

I understand why you're feeling that way Smile

But if you want his education to be thoroughly Christian, it won't happen if you send him to public school.

What kind of "reading" will it be? Have you reviewed *everything* he will be reading? Have you seen the teacher's materials? Some of the unacceptable stuff is in there. What about the art? What *kind* of art? How much adult supervision is there during recess? Have you ever seen what recess is like? Children in herds together with often not an adult in sight. Do you *know* what children do left to their own devices?? ACK!

I'm thinking that you might re-evaluate your teaching materials and methods and maybe go in a different direction this year, if what you've been doing makes you feel overwhelmed. Also, your ds can invite some of his buddies over on a Saturday to goof off with.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Lily
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe homeschooling is about the home making the educational decisions, not the government.

That said, I go with whatever works. If this sounds like a good situation to you (and it sounds like it does!), then go for it. If it's not working you still maintain control of the options, right?
Juloyes
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are questions I will definitely be asking the principal if I go talk to her. We live in a small town and I know most of the adults who would be working with him. Another issue for us is that we're the ONLY elementary homeschoolers in our town and the nearest other town is an hour away so co-ops, field trips, and support groups don't exist for us and, frankly, after two and a half years of homeschooling alone, I'm truly lonely. So the thought of him going is almost as much for ME as for him. I feel a kind of nostalgia, too, since I loved school. So he would be there from about 8-10:30 or so each day. I still haven't worked up the courage to up there and discuss this possibility with the principal.

I just don't know! If you know anyone who has actually done this, please encourage them to post Smile.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say if that is what you want to do then you should do it.

However, since you are looking to other people and asking our opinion then I would have to guess that you are a little uneasy about doing it.

I personally wouldn't send my child back to the schools for anything. I do understand the being overwhelmed part. I started a group last year and then had to move and start all over trying to find people around me who homeschool. I have yet to find any and I have been here over a year now. I have also been in the "what to do about baby" situation. I had my third last Nov. My kids are older though. Having older ones is a blessing as far as less work for things like lunches but for teaching it can be more work since the work becomes harder. This year I will have an 8th grader, 4th grader and a 9mo old. Last year was hard and we missed a lot of class time so I could nurse the baby and nap but we made it through. I am hoping and praying that this year is a little easier. If you are looking to keep your child's education Christian then unless this is a Christian school he will NOT be taught Christian values in the classes, even if you know every adult there. If it is a public school they can't teach the Christian way it is illegal and they can get in trouble. They have to teach what and how the state deems appropriate.

I have a question for you though...Why does he have to go to the school to hang out with his buddies? My kids have lots of friends they talk with and do things with and very few of them are homeschooled. In fact, my son's "girlfriend" doesn't even live in the town we moved from, he met her through a friend of a friend. I try to teach my kids that being homeschooled is just like going to school in a different district than your friends. Besides most of their friends are jealous that they can't be homeschooled, so my kids are the "COOL" kids.

This is just my two cents, ultimately you have to make the decision that is best for you and your son.

Good Luck!
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm overwhelmed just reading the ages of all your kids. Do whatever makes your life manageable.

I've been trying to get the small Christian school in our other home to open up certain classes to homeschoolers. My intentions would be the same as yours. Plus I miss being a room mom, Fall Festivals, etc.

The home we live in for 9 mos. out of the year is on an island with essentially no children, and there is no school available. Homeschool was our only option without having to drive 1 hour one way.

It would be wonderful to mesh the best of parochial school and homeschool. There's a 2 day a week school in the next county which teaches A beka. The teachers totally direct the moms, however, on the days the kids aren't in school. The reason I'm mentioning this, is it might be easier for you with a new baby. You wouldn't have to get everyone dressed and out of the house every morning.
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would not do this. Yet, on another level, I would consult legal counsel for this may have legal ramifications on your "homeschool". I know a person in another state that this did lessen his legal standing if a BOE or Super ever wanted to challenge them later. This may not be the case in every state, but their lawyer said that he could not defend them in court if there were certain issues that came up. While those never did come up, I would want you to be informed by a lawyer of the ramifications of your decision in light of your state laws.
Juloyes
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly realize he won't be taught Christian values for those few hours in public school. I don't WANT him to be, especially since we have a huge LDS population in our area and I wouldn't want them teaching my son religion in the public school. In fact, I don't think any religion should be taught there...But that's a whole other discussion.

My point is my options are this: public school or homeschool. There isn't a Christian school within an hour of here. I am in a very remote place where my husband pastors a church. There aren't any other homeschoolers in our church.

My state's hs laws are very fair and good. I have no concerns of anyone challenging me. Besides, his test scores prove we're doing just fine.

I know socialization is a huge argument against homeschooling, but my son spent the summer doing a sport that required 2 hours of practice each morning with kids who weren't all Christians. It was good for BOTH of us. I had a little time in the mornings with his little brother and sister and he got to have some independence that was controlled and purposeful. I think he has grown socially because of it.

I think what I do love about homeschooling is that I can tailor my child's education to suit him. For example, he has a Sept. birthday so socially he is more like a third grader but academically he does fourth, fifth, sixth grade work. I know he wouldn't be challenged if he were in a class with 20+ kids each day. Plus, his primary influence, where he spends most of his time, is still within the home and family. We are privileged enough to have lunch each day with dad who leads us in our Bible time and prayer for a certain people group each week. I'm just thinking I might get the best of both. I'm not sure it's helpful to our image as homeschoolers to demonize the public schools and act like they are all out to "get us".

So I guess I'm not a purist in this. I'm just navigating these educational waters to try to figure out what works for our family. I'm getting to the point where my biggest concern is if I can still fit in everything I want to with him at home or will we be doing school until dinner every night? Ug....
zozomom
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie,
I am starting my second year of homeschooling part time with our 13 yr old daughter. It's working for us. My other two are grown so she is pretty much an only child so she does enjoy being at school for some classes. Also, she has been a blessing to her teachers by asking them how their day is,about their family and by writing notes to say how much she enjoys something they did in class. Believe me, they don't normally get this. So they enjoy her and have told me this. Of course, we live in a small district with a great staff(many Christian)and our district superintendant has been very accomodating for her special needs. Also, I need the break.( She is only 1 child but takes energy and patience of several).
The bottom line is, do what you need to do based on the information and situation you have. I will be praying for you.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it would greatly depend on what I know of the school and the teachers there. I have heard many stories of the local public schools around here (from Christian teachers who I know), and I would not send my children to those schools, no matter what the class is. The things that those teachers put up with--and some of them seem resigned to it, as if they don't have a choice (I can't mention specifics because I want to remain anonymous, but believe me, they can do better...drives me crazy to hear this stuff). Ok, I'll mention one...an elementary school's teachers were given a survey to fill out about the school, and although the teachers didn't like the principal (according to the teacher who told me this story), they still rated him "excellent" even though the surveys were anonymous. They were so "afraid" they would be identified they didn't dare say anything about him. This was their chance to make a change at that school! Crazy. So no, I wouldn't send my kids to a public school in my area for anything.
bbaron312
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that public school can provide positive as well as negative social settings but academically in the future (High School), I would consider the part time or even full time enrollment just for the benefit of AP credit courses. I was home schooled all my life and then enrolled in college. With out the AP credit, I found that I was behind in credits as compared to other students my same age. Some students came in with around 30 credits already so they are graduating a whole year before me even though I am taking summer classes as well. I know it is a long time in the future but I felt it was something worth mentioning.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are oportunities other than AP courses for homeschoolers to get college credit. There are CLEP tests that you can take or some kids take course at the local comunity college while they are jrs and srs in high school. Our district even allows kids to take classes at two very good 4 year schools for free jr and sr year (yes even homeschoolers can participate). You just need to evaluate the particular district, reasons for homeschooling and your particular family. All the kids I know who have been homeschooled are doing so much better in college than their ps freinds. They are all ahead of where they "should" be. It really just depends on the kid.
bippycorn
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juloys, if its a small town then i would give it a try as i have personally had good experiences with smalltown schools. It usually becomes a big problem when the amount of students increase to an unmanagable amount that the teacher cant give enough attention to each student or control the other students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: