curriculum for 8th grade?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

curriculum for 8th grade?

Postby Becqui » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:40 pm

I have decided to homeschool my daughter this fall and need advice on curriculum for an 8th grader who currently does not enjoy reading. Need something more hands on to keep it interesting and fun.

Postby ccmmum » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:47 am

I would suggest looking into programs like KONOS, WinterPromise, or other unit type studies.
Or if you prefer DVDs, BJU gets good reviews.
I personally don't like alot of hands on stuff and we use Alpha Omega Lifepacs. I don't feel that they are too much reading-in fact I am always adding books to our school time.

Janet Tatman

Postby Janet Tatman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 pm

You might try the Switch-On Schoolhouse curriculum through Alpha Omega. It is computer based and your daughter might enjoy that more than a typical textbook format.
Janet T.

Postby Becqui » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:46 pm

Thanks! I just happen to be checking out the demo for AlphaOmega SOS
and was kinda leaning towards that and maybe some of the LifePacs to try out and then add some other stuff if needed.

Me too...

Postby Becky13 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 am

I also have a 13-yr old daughter going into 8th grade who wants to homeschool this year, and also hates to read. I am looking at the Alpha Omega Academy, with the SOS option, and the enhanced services so she can contact a teacher when she needs help. She's had so much trouble with bullying, harrassment, girls threatening to beat her up, etc., that she just can't handle school anymore, and is begging to homeschool. We tried the homeschooling for 6th grade, using SOS CDs, as I was only working part-time then, then she went back to school last year for 7th grade, and things just got worse with the girls (this is a private school, by the way...). Problem is, I'm working full time again, and won't have as much time to work with her. Her grandmother is retired, and can take her during the day, I'm just not sure how much help she's going to be, and don't want to overwhelm her with having to school my daughter. I sent you a private message with more info.

Did you settle on a curriculum for your daughter yet?

Postby sweetpea » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:28 pm

Does your daughter like working on the computer? If so, a computer based or web-based curriculum may be the way to go. My 8th grader is currently using Time4Learning. It's a web-based Pre-K-8 curriculum that uses CompassLearning Odyssey (formerly ChildU).

My son doesn't like to read either--or write for that matter. He likes T4L because the lessons are presented in a multi-media format with lots of animation, etc. to keep his interest.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”