Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do you buy manipulatives?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
springmama
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Where do you buy manipulatives? Reply with quote

I was all set to buy a bunch of math manipulatives for the upcoming school year from www.learningthings.com, then I decided to check out our local parent teacher store today and it is way more expensive to buy locally. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and make my purchase at Learning Things or if there is a better place that I don't know about.
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some maths curriculums come with there own maniplatives. If it doesn't then I guess you have to see how they wold fit in. We use Math-U-See which has it's own maniplatives. You can check those out on the MUS page.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use timberdoodle, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Yes, local teacher stores are way more expensive.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy my math manipulatives. I made my own. We used straws, beans, buttons, an old clock that I had laying around, and whatever else I could find. I even made my own fraction manipulatives. I try to save money where ever I can. I guess if your curriculum calls for a specific item then you don't have a choice but you might be able to substitute something else.
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought ours through Sonlight when we purchased our pre-k curriculum. I don't know how their price compares to Learning Things.

I agree that you can make your own. We haven't used very many of the items formally. I mostly just let the kids play around with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: