Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A BEKA program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Used Curriculum Buying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinagirlsmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: A BEKA program Reply with quote

I want to buy a first grade and kindergarten curriculum from A BEKA. Any suggestions. THis is my first time homeschooling
red_tulips
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: A BEKA program Reply with quote

chinagirlsmom wrote:
I want to buy a first grade and kindergarten curriculum from A BEKA. Any suggestions. THis is my first time homeschooling

Hi,

We're in the same boat.. it's my very first time to homeschool my kids. I've been trying to find used Abeka stuff. I found some on ebay. What a saving!
abbiesmamma
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the following Abeka 1st Grade:

-Tiptoes Reading Book 3.50
-Letters and Sounds Phonics Seatwork Text Teachers Key 6.50
-Letters and Sounds Phonics Seatwork Text Teachers Key 6.00 (bit older but still works with current curriculum)
-Health, Safety, and Manners Teachers Key 3.50 (older but still works with current curriculum)
-Discovering God's World Teacher's Edition 6.50

Shipping would be 2.50 for the first book and 1.00 for each additional book.

If I find more, I will be sure to come back!!!

You can email me at mrsannieshaw@yahoo.com
MyCountryFamily
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: I have the complete K5 Abeka Reading Set Reply with quote

My dd went to private school her Kindergarten year and I have the following

My Blend and Word Book (the first book the give them)
I Learn to Read (Books A-D)
I Do Read (Books 1-4 or E-H)
I Can Read Well (Books 1-4 or I-L)

Her name is written on the front of the books and I think at most you may find highlighting in a booklet or two for words she struggled with.

They're in great condition and I was going to keep them, but we've decided to give school another shot this year and my 4 year old has flat said she's going to school. So no need to keep them. I'd like $14 for all of them INCLUDES shipping.

Blessings, Windy
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Abeka and when I bought my first grade the only thing that was a big deal to find was the phonics and math. The readers are easy to find and the science, history, health, and community helpers are good but I recommend if you are trying to save money to buy the older versions instead of the new ones. It is the same info just updated pictures and a new cover. You can buy used books online, that is what I do. I have several classified ad sites that I frequent. If you are looking for something specific let me know. I might have it. I am slowly selling the items I don't need anymore. This was my daughters stuff and she is in the 4th grade now and I won't need it again for another 5 years when my youngest is old enough for it. By then I figure I can get what I don't have.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started my K5 student a few days ago on the Traditional A Beka K5 program. She is finding it a little boring - she knows everything that is being taught so far. I would love to have an opinion from those of you who have gone through K5 - is this just the beginning? Will she start to learn new things soon? Should I just got through this part quickly so she can get to the new more interesting stuff before she gets bored and sick of it?
Thanks.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontheprairie wrote:
I just started my K5 student a few days ago on the Traditional A Beka K5 program. She is finding it a little boring - she knows everything that is being taught so far. I would love to have an opinion from those of you who have gone through K5 - is this just the beginning? Will she start to learn new things soon? Should I just got through this part quickly so she can get to the new more interesting stuff before she gets bored and sick of it?
Thanks.

I would recommend thumbing through the material. Quickly go over what the books says she is going to learn, then quickly review it with her, just to double check that it has all been mastered, and then move on to what she doesn't know. Go as fast as she wants with the new material and don't worry if you don't get it done the way the books say you should. Things will pick up in the first grade and if she is ready then I would move on to that grade this year, but only if she is ready. There is no sense in making her do the same things over and over if she has already mastered it. That is one of the nice parts of having them at home, you can move at their pace. I always tailor my kids curriculum to their abilities and I use Abeka across the board. I have two school aged who use books from their grade level on up. I have my methods to test them out of the books but they must show me they have mastered the material before I will let them move on. My kids are older though and I have tried a lot of different approaches before I found one that worked for us. Just keep trying, you'll find what works for you and your daughter.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much ncmom. Looking forward to getting to know you better - I love meeting the moms on here that use A Beka and love it. Which there was a place where I could save the names of the ones I have found!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Used Curriculum Buying All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: