Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need help to get it all together!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tara
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: I need help to get it all together!! Reply with quote

Is it possible to have a clean home, nutritious meals, laundry done, homeschool a 6 year old, babysit a 2 year old, housetrain a puppy, and still find time to brush your teeth? My life is an unorganized mess and it has been for all of my 32 years! Does anyone know a good book, website, anything that helps you get your life in order and get it all done??

Tara
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flylady seems to help a lot of people out. It's a little too time intensive for me, though.

We've managed to work out a schedule here (though no 2yo running around) of one hour of independend work in the morning, be it art, puzzles, games, leftover work.., while I through in a load of laundry and get morning chores started. Then I work in 10 minute intervals every hour - 10 minutes gets the dining room picked up, swept and dusted, or it gets the living room vacuumed.

The house is never perfect, but it's livable and I can have young guests over without much issue.

I think, right now, your best bet would just be to go with the flow. You have a LOT on your plate demanding your time and attention. But, the puppy will be housetrained soon, the 6yo will be able to work for longer stretches alone, and the 2yo will stop being, well, 2. Just think of this as a temporary situation. Wink
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara,

Even the most organized never get it all done. Your life sounds pretty normal to me. I start with a list of things to do everyday. On the list is usually 30 to 40 things. I'm lucky if I accomplish 5. Rolling Eyes
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey tara,

hmm....sounds familiar. i have a 5 1/2 yr old & 3 1/2 yr old, 2 dogs & 1 cat....

ok....this may not be like anyone else out here, but here's what works for us. my 5 yr old son has certain chores (but we call them responsibilities). things that are appropriate for his age. he has a laundry basket in his closet where all his dirty clothes go. when it's time to wash them, i ask him to bring his basket to the laundry room. he actually likes helping out (right now, of course). he takes our kitchen garbage (which, i bag up) to the outside garbage can. he feeds our 2 dogs. he has to clean his room once a day & it's usually at the end of the day (b/c it will just get messed up again). my husband, whom is military, bought him all these clear containers for his toys to go in & he knows which box to put his blocks in, noah's arc toys, etc. also, he makes his bed every morning (it may not be the best, but it is to me b/c he does it w/out me having to ask him & that's worth alot). after he eats, he puts his dishes in the sink. he also dresses himself every morning after he wakes up.

my 3 1/2 daughter also has her own set of responsibilites. she feeds our cat, which she loves to do. she cleans up her toys also (w/ a little help of me showing/telling her where to put them, so she will know). she helps to get herself dressed as best she can. she brings her laundry bag to the laundry room. she puts her dishes in the sink.

i do dishes (sometimes 2x day), wash, fold, put away laundry (my son puts his laundry away in his chest of drawers himself, so there's another responsibility of his & my daughter puts her clean laundry on her bed & i put it away). daddy sweeps, mama mops, etc. daddy bathes kids and mama helps put jammies on. it's all equal in our house and there's not much complaining. it just seems to work for us & i think it's a pretty good system.

we're very flexible (it doesn't sound like it though, does it?). there's really no set time that we do all of this in, aka a schedule, but it all gets done. we still manage to get our lessons done while my daughter plays w/ a big ole bowl full of dried rice & beans to entertain her. we go to the library 1xweek, starting music lessons & taekwondo lessons. my husband will soon deploy which will throw a wrench in things, but honestly, it's all good and i wouldn't change a thing, except to add God in more, which, by the way, is already being added into lessons now.....

here's what we're trying to learn...see Colossians 3:2
here's what we LIVE by....accidents happen....and God is always there

hth,

jennifer

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
Bethany
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tara,

I am a homeschooling mom of 7. We have been homeschooling for 20 years now. I have loved evry minute of it ! I am here to say "NO, you are not going to get it all done" ! And I can also say that it doesn't really matter. Your children are not going to remember how clean you, your house or them is/are - but what was mommy doing in our lives. What are they going to remember about their day. Was mommy joyful and fun - or worried and stressed out. I am not saying that you won't feel this way or that I haven't ever felt this way. Many a day I have ! But through the years I have realized to not sweat the small stuff, go with the flow and enjoy the day and your kiddos. Don't let the enemy steal your joy !

I have found that a chore pak for each child ( Manangers of Thier Homes) has helped to relieve the stress of making sure each child is doing his or her chore. Helps to keep them accountable also ! Before school starts or our day for that matter, by using chore paks, our house is in order and I haven't had to be the boss !

The time will pass all too quickly.

Philippians 4:18

Bless You
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got a 5 (almost 6) year old, 7 year old and 11 month old baby here. My husband is working 60ish hours a week, so when he's home all he really does is sleep and eat.

Here's what I do:

I clean 1 room per day. For instance, on Monday the bathroom gets a thorough cleaning. On Tuesday I go through the fridge, dump the old stuff, wash the floor, scrub the stove, etc. Of course I tidy up the kitchen and living room at the end of each day. It's nice to not start your morning by tripping over a Tonka Trunk before your caffeinated enough to know what happen to you!

I have a family of 5. That's a lot of laundry. Rather than spending one whole day bogged down with nothing but laundry, I usually do 1 load each day. The two older kids fold their own and put them away.

I don't have a dishwasher, well, not a mechanical one. The two older kids each do a small load of dishes each day. Nothing breakable, no knives, but they wash some plates and cups. It helps. And it teaches them responsibility.

I cook. And I mean COOK. There's no Hamburger Helper or frozen pizza in our house. I even bake our own bread. It hasn't been a big problem unless I really don't feel well. But I keep something simple stocked all the time in case I have a rough day. (Ok sometimes I get lazy, but since I'm hungry too I generally snap out of it).

My house is not as clean as I would like it to be, but it's cleaner than a lot of homes I've visited. Usually the biggest mess is my room or the computer desk, and that's because I always put all the other jobs first. I do make an effort to clean the computer desk weekly, but everyone from the kids to my husband likes to dump things there!

I try to make a list of things that need to get done. It helps keep me on track (and remember things, the memory is not what it used to be). Once you get into a routine it's not so bad. I got a lot done today. I'm really quite pleased. Of course, we didn't do ANY school today. But I got a lot of things done this week that I just haven't had time for.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: