Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auditory Processing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruby
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Auditory Processing Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with Auditory processing problems. My 9 and 10 year old boys have both been diagnosed with this after struggling with reading through school. Improving now we are getting help from a Speech Pathologist, but any advise or information would be helpful.
Thanks
Ruby
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends upon the exact problem..

It sounds a little like the sensory integration issues around here.

I reckon the speech pathologist is a good start though, and if I think
of anything helpful, I'll post it for you.

mark
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a bit like my son's working memory problem. Maybe if you stated some symptoms we could help. PSs like to give everything a label it helps with the paperwork Wink They don't always call things the same name however, not sure why they aren't all on the same page. Things get labeled the name of the week so they can get services, so list what really is going on and maybe we can help a bit more.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ruby
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those replies.
Yes, I have seen this problem refered to by other names and a few mums here have had children with similar problems I am discovering nowl
The memory retrieval, or lack of, is one of the main difficulties my boys have. Where their older sisters memorised Bible verses, poetry and things like days of the week from an early age, the boys have been struggling with these basics for years.
The Speechie has them doing various games and activities to try to sharpen memory, and a game using coloured blocks and sounds in patterns, without using any letter names. After several years of trying to master phonics they have become really confused with sounds, especially vowels. Their reading level is about 6 years with the younger a little better than the older.
Other difficulties: letter reversal, very small vocab. of memorised words,(for their age) super short concerntration span, jiggling, tapping, flicking hands (apparently these are common when kids are trying to get their brain going!)
I am very happy to finally have a few answers and am optomistic about improvement. At their age they have become very conscious that ALL the other kids can read and feel very different. We have lots of home schooled friends so even though they are not in school they are very well aware of it.
I would still like to hear from any one who may have had a child similar and better still, someone who has got past it and now has a great reader who is powering on!
Ruby
Ruby
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. the main"symptom" I guess is that they have not been able to master basic phonics and reading!
Ruby
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the key phrases that you used was comparing your boys to your girls. THis is very common among boys, mainly because their brains develop differently. Here are some mistakes I made that I don't want you to:
1. Don't treat him so different;y that he think that he can't do anything without help.

2. Make sure that he approaches everything with a good attitude-this is MOST important of all.

3. Don't let him give up before he even tries.

4. Repetition, repetition, repetition

5. No one is to blame, not you, not him, not his speech Path.

6. Do not compare him to grade level, age level or any other level. He will learn on his own level, at his own pace, and to expect anything else is asking for failure.

7. Most important, make sure that he knows that their is nothing wrong with him, he may need more practice in one area of his life, but others may not be able to ride a bike as quickly, or build cool Lego buildings (whatever their strength is) They need to know that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, no one is better just because someone decided that this area is important. (This one I got right, thankfully)

I hope this helps. It does get better. My oldest isn't the strongest reader yet but he's getting there. Every day is a new day with new surprises.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: