Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IEP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stac31
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: IEP Reply with quote

My 7-year-old just had an IEP put in place. The school feels as though he needs one and seems to be seeing things I don't see at home. I just happened to notice on the IEP form where it says "recommendation for psycho-ed in grade 3". Does anyone know what exactly psycho-ed is? I am struggling greatly with myself on the decision to homeschool. I have 4 kids, very close in age, 3 boys and 1 girl. All the boys are slipping behind in reading. I was told by the principal that there was no way that they were going to fail them, they would instead put this IEP in place, so basically they wouldn't have to meet the usual expectations of that grade level, go onto the next grade level, and most likely slip further behind. I am finding the whole public school thing to be unbelievably frustrating. My daughter on the hand (4 years old), is doing great and above average. I wish God or something would just give me a sign as to what to do! LOL Very Happy I'm also worried about my lack of patience. The boys have more energy that sometimes I can handle and school right now is sort of a nice break. I know that sounds terrible Embarassed

Thanks for any advice in advance.
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the boy thing. I have 4 of them. Whew! They are bundles of energy. I have learned a lot of patience in the 5 years we have been HSing and still have alot to learn!

I have heard that many boys struggle with reading. I've even heard of some that could not read until 9 or 10 years old. If I remember correctly, it's something to do with certain brain connections maturing at a later time.

As far as whether you should HS or not...no one can make that call but you. Go with your gut. There is lots of support here and elsewhere, should you decide that HSing is right for your family.

All the best to you! Very Happy
schoolingK2
User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think psycho-ed. refers to behavioral issues. You may be able to ask your pediatrician they may know. What I've experienced is that there are many reasons why children don't do well in classes.

Has the school done a full evaluation this is when he has had his IQ evaluated, speech and language, academics, etc.? Ask for a copy of the reports if you do not have them.

Go under the link "home schooling my IEP son" and read “my story”, I believe that is what I titled it Confused . This will give you a better understanding of me. Smile

I also have 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls. My oldest is in high school advance diploma A/B honor roll and active in sports. MY oldest daughter is home-schooled due to problems (my story explains this, under "home schooling my IEP son") my youngest son has never step foot into a school setting (he is 8, and just from a psychologist observing him they feel he is gifted with LD). My youngest daughter now 3 and has been in school under an IEP since 2 1/2.

I can tell you about home school curriculum that has worked for us. I can encourage, support, and listen to you. But most of all follow your heart. You know what is best for your child and your family.

I only home-school my 2 middle children and next year I probably will home-school our 3 year old as well, but she will still be under an IEP or ISP.

You can home-school and still receive services. It can be frustrating. But with us our insurance will not cover services for our children because they are school age, we can not afford private therapy, and so we have to rely on help from the school.

You are not alone. If you chose to home school knowing your Childs disability and learning styles will help. This will help guide you through curriculum choices. Finding a good support group helps.

Jennifer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: