Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My "center" book came in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: My "center" book came in! Reply with quote

First of all, let me say it was disappointingly thin! It did have some good ideas, however and got me to thinking!

Before I give some examples, let me tell you what i've decided to do in DD's room. Her closet is pretty good size, not walk in, but a bit deeper than a regular closed. It had the 2 bifold doors on it and cubby shelves at each end. Because she likes to dress herself and can't reach the bar, most of her clothes are in her dresser. Only dresses and coats are hanging. So, I am taking the doors off to replace with fun beads. I am painting the back wall with chalkboard paint, putting her inflatable Barbie chair in there, and stocking the closet with those wonder markers that only work on certain paper, magna doodle, books, puzzles, and chalk. It will be her retreat for quiet time or anytime.

Some of the author's ideas were to set up centers anywhere you can...corners, nooks, and crannies! Reading center (this will be DD's closet) - books, bean bag chairs, magazines, brochures, lamp, etc. Writing Center - computer/typewriter (if child is old enough), notebooks, address book, stationary/cards, any kind of paper imaginable, markers, pens, pencils, pictures as writing prompts, for older kids: grammar books, dictionaries, etc. Science center: nature guides, collection boxes, magnifying glass, microscope, aquariums, terrariums, science kits, etc. Math Center: counting objects, containers and objects for sorting, beads, magnetic numbers, etc. Social Studies Center: encyclopedias, maps, state notebook, travel guides, etc. Music Center: piano, cds, instruments, etc. Art Center: display space for finished projects, artist books, all kinds of art supplies.

She gave many more examples and things to think about...worth the $5 to have on hand. What else can you think of?

I hope to get some caged animals (turtle, hamster, fish, etc) when DD gets a little older.
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! All I can say is all those centers must take up a lot of space! Our living space currently is a basement we are renting from relatives and HOLY MOLY! I can't imagine having all that stuff! But I think if you have the room, that's great!

I think my sons favorite spot in our living space is the carboard box that I fill with things they can use. They both like to build or do art, so we have a box I fill with odds and ends that I find while I'm cleaning or whatever and "if its in the box, its theirs to do what they want with". I have seen them spend hours with what's in that box. I guess if you can call that a "center", that would be the favorite at this house!
Brenners
User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally LOVE this idea of centers. My 3 yo daughter would love it. But, I have a 15 month old and another baby on the way. There is NO WAY I would want him or the new baby getting into all that "big kid" stuff. I already have to chase down my son to retrieve "stolen" markers and scissors. Smile

I SO SO SO want a nice empty room to make into a kid's dream activity room with lots of different stations. It's always been my dream, as a kid and now as a parent. But the most important part would be the door to close or gate up to keep out the little crawlers and toddlers who would eat every little piece, marker up every wall and furniture, etc. Laughing

But, I still love all the activity ideas. I can just keep them put away and bring them out one at a time for my 3 yo.

Another station idea is to have a magnet place (or the fridge). Paint a wall with magnetic paint, or hang a magnetic surface (like a large cookie sheet). Provide lots of magnets (alphabet, numbers, shapes, photos of family members, "paper" dolls, etc.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: