Teaching Textbooks?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

maryblunt
User

Teaching Textbooks?

Postby maryblunt » Fri May 26, 2006 2:34 pm

Moti
User

About Teaching Textbooks

Postby Moti » Mon May 29, 2006 12:07 pm

Mary,

I was not aware of them prior to your post. I went to their site and sampled their material. It seems their approach is quite good. However, I do not know how well the books are structured as a whole and the flow of teaching, and therefore cannot comment on it.

The one point that I can comment on is that if you children are auditory learners [by listening] then such materials that are basically an auditory lesson would be great for them. If not, it can be good or not, depending on how they respond to such (neutrally or sometimes they might get turned off).

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:30 pm

I was contemplating Saxon math for my rising 9th grader, as I'd used it successfully once before, but was hesitant due to the very bland repetitive nature of the program. Someone in another forum recommended I look at Teaching Textbooks as her kids loved the program. It was also highly recommended by Cathy Duffy. I spent some time browsing through the website, and finally decided to buy the Algebra 1 course. Well, all I can say is that from the first look I'm very impressed. My daughter loves the format, and the fact that you can go back and play the solution to any problems you may miss. It is easily laid out, and the CDs are easy to use and the language is not too advanced. The lectures and explanations are easy to understand and are presented in a way that is obviously targeted to kids in the 13-18 age group. All in all I'm impressed and looking forward to a successful year in Math!!!

charden
User

Teaching Textbooks

Postby charden » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:19 pm

Laurieinwa
User

here's what i have heard

Postby Laurieinwa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:37 pm

I also have a friend who used it and just loved it. I went to their site and tried their samples and am going to order Algebra 1 for my dd this year and next year will use their new 7th grade level for my son.
Wife to Gary 23 years. Mom to Tyler (21), Bucky (19), Callie (17), Tobias (14), Miles (11), Maggie Rose (8), Isaac (5), Gary Jr. (2).

Isikole
User

Postby Isikole » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:59 am

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”