Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Theme discussion 1: INSECTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Theme discussion 1: INSECTS Reply with quote

Please list your insect ideas and appropriate links here...up to about a 1st grade level...

set up an ant farm

fill a critter cage with animals from the yard...research what kind they are and learn how to care for them...observe with magnifying glass...either set up an appropriate home or set the free

find a caterpillar to observe through chrysallis

discuss characteristics of insects

discuss how they are helpful or harmful to things in our environment

If you include worms in this unit, make a worm composter
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn over rocks and see what crawls out Smile Get lots of books for the more interesting bugs like butterflies, moths, spiders, etc.

When I was doing Calvert 8th grade, I was supposed to do a science essay, so I decided to write my essay on hunting spiders. I got 5 or 7 books out from the library, compiled the info, and ended up having to write a 5000-word essay. In retrospect, choosing a subject of smaller scope might have been smarter, but at least I know lots about spiders now. Interesting subject.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Theme discussion 1: INSECTS Reply with quote

Clean up spiderwebs and other insect signs from inside the house. Learn why they are attracted indoors, what their natural habitat and foods are, and how to keep them outdoors.

Go out to a covered open area like a porch or gazebo during a rainstorm and observe insect (and worm) movements.
bright_tomato
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an insect alphabet?

Ant
Beetle, Butterfly
Cockroach
Dragonfly
Earwig
Fly
Grasshopper
Hornet
I
J
K
Ladybug
Mosquito
N
O
Pond Skater
Q
Redback spider
Silkworm
Termite
U
V
Worm, Wasp
X
Y
Zodiac moth

maybe some insect-related words for the missing letters?

To help learn the alphabet and learn more about insects we can do this activity:
Print out pictures of the insects above, go through them, talk about them. Make up large cards, one letter per card, put them out on the floor and then get the child to sort the insect pictures by placing each one below the letter that their name starts with.
bright_tomato
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great site on insects

http://www.insects.org/
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Thanks.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put out a plate with different foods on it and find out what ants like to eat.

Discuss why bees are so important

What is the difference between a butterfly and a Moth? (you may be surprised at the answer)

Read "the ants and the grasshopper" fable

Talk about how ants and bees work together and have different jobs

Find out what the insects around you eat? compost anyone? What eats them? (plants too)

Symmetry-butterflies and moths are symmetrical in their wings

what is the difference between a millipede and a centipede?
Are they insects?

What is the real definition of an "insect" What are the other creepy crawlies? (invertebrates)

Making models of favorite insects
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Brenners
User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crafts for the little ones:

cut picture of insects (magazines or printed from the computer) and make a collage.

Talk about the symmetry of butterflies, then make a semmetric painting. Fold paper in half. Unfold. Blob or sponge on paint in shape of butterfly wings on one side of the paper. Fold in half agian. Open. The paint should have transfered to the other side to create a symmetrical "butterfly".
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic, but I think its cute! My 10 month old and I inadvertently had a mini unit study on bugs last week, so we just kinda rolled with it!

We can't do a whole lot at his age, but here's what we did:

1. READ--
a. The Very Hungry Caterpillar
b. Little Cricket's Song
c. Miss Spider's Tea Party
d. The Very Busy Spider
e. The Grouchy Ladybug--he loved Mom's grouchy ladybug voice, lol.

2. DISCUSSED--I'm not entirely sure how much he comprehended, but we did talk about the types of bugs, what they eat, stuff like that. Throughout the book we also counted, discussed shapes and colors, pointed out things, talked about letter sounds, etc.

3. OBSERVED--We went outside and found bugs and spiders. We have a nice big spider and elaborate web on the corner of our porch, and we also found a ladybug. We listened to the crickets one evening and talked about the sound they made. We saw a butterfly, but unfortunately didn't come across any caterpillars this time of year, lol.

4. PLAYED--my sister and nephew used to collect Beanie Babies. We also have a few other toys that come in bug form, lol. I gathered up some of our insect and spider toys and we played with them, and again, discussed what they did. We made the stuffed butterfly fly through the air and land on a stuffed flower. We counted the spots on a stuffed ladybug and made it crawl after one of our dogs. Hehe, we even made a stuffed spider EAT some Cheerios, er, I mean, flies!

5. MUSIC--We sang Itsy Bitsy Spider, over and over and over. We also watched some YouTube videos, mostly animated versions of the Itsy Bitsy Spider set to fun music, but also a few photo collages of various insects. We also sang The Ants Go Marching.
amymom
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a three day unit on Spiders on my blog preschoolmommy.blogspot.com. I know, I know spiders aren't insects, but it would be good to transition to spiders as your next topic.
Connieshines
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Geometric shape lawn insect observation Reply with quote

Make a shape with wire.
Place the shape on the lawn and provide the child/children with a magnifying lens.
Instruct children to observe within the designated ares of the shape. Have children lay on the grass to observe detailed information. Confining children to a specific small ares will help them focus and concentrate. Encourage children to observe and identify insects on leaves, grass, ground, under rocks, branches, etc. Have children use as many of their senses as possible. After observation encourage children to draw, identify and label his insect. Draw their natural environment.
Follow-up: Search insects on the internet. Identify the insect observed and gather information.
Suggestion: Make geometric shapes using PVC tubing (hardware store) use pvc 90 degree elbow to connect the corners to make the shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: