Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missouri Law, need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homeschool2boys
User

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Missouri Law, need help Reply with quote

I really need help understanding MO law. I want to make sure I am doing these logs correctly.

It says A plan book, diary or other record indicating subjects taught and activities engaged in

For this part I have been doing a diary. Everyday I write logs something like this, heres an example.

Language Arts- Today we read pages 7-9 and did 1.7-1.13 on page 10. (We are doing life pacs so it reads something like that on most days). Thats just an example, not an actual log. I do one for every subject, is this good enough? Anyway is this what they are looking for?

The next part it says A portfolio of samples of the childs work or other written credible evidence.

What I have been doing is keeping all of his Life Pac work books, is that good enough? Do I need to put them in some sort of binder? What exactly is a portfolio and what do they mean? I figured if I just kept everything he has done it would be good enough, I hope I did the right thing.

The last part it says a record of evaluations of the childs academic progress

Are Lifepac tests good enough? Is that what they mean by evaluations? He takes a test at the end of every work book and several smaller tests during the course of a work book, is this good enough? I dont really know what they mean and I am stressed out about this.

I dont even understand part D of the law, so if anyone can explain this to me I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any replies.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the law says this:

a. a plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities engaged in;

b. and “a portfolio of samples of child’s academic work” or “other written credible evidence, etc.”;

c. and “a record of evaluations of the child’s academic progress”;

d. or “other written, credible evidence equivalent to subparagraphs a) b) and c)” § 167.031.2(2)(a). Parents have the option to follow: a, b, and c, or they can choose to follow only d) which permits more flexibility.

I don't think you need to agonize over this stuff. Really. Keep it simple. You might be able to get the Alpha Omega scope and sequence for each LifePac and use that as your "other record indicating subjects taught," along with some information on any field trips or other outside activities that you might do. A portfolio only needs to be a couple of samples from each subject, 2 or 3 pages from the beginning, middle, and end of the year. I would say that the LifePac tests should be fine.

Here's the link to AO's Scope and Sequence. It shows what is taught in each subject in each LifePac.

http://www.aop.com/lifepac/samples/ScopeSequence.pdf
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
homeschool2boys
User

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply! I have been so stressed out, worrying I will not do these logs correctly, especially because next year we are pulling my 16 yr old out of that awful school (he will be 16 by the time we pull him out of school). He is mentally handicapped so I figured they will run me through the mill and probably want to see every log I have.

I am glad I am in the clear because maybe now I can relax a little and not worry non stop about these logs. Thanks for the link, I will be sure to add it to my logs.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: