Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Son bombed test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Son bombed test Reply with quote

My son 5 bombed the end of the year test. I know this because he didn't even finish the test because he was to busy spinning in his chair! I need to know how to put together a portfolio when you haven't really been keeping track of things? I know what series of book he's read but I have nothing from before November. I wasn't planning a portfolio. please help next year I know better. I'm thinking of continuing until the end of July so he has more stuff in it then taking a "brake" after it's in but I don't know help please.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just 5. Why do you need a portfolio?
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered him in august and they put him in first grade he has a June birthday.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miguelsmommy wrote:
I registered him in august and they put him in first grade he has a June birthday.

Ok, I'm confused. You said "My son 5," so it sounded as if he was 5yo, not 6.

At any rate, if he bombed the test, that's not a big deal, unless your state requires hsers to score within a certain percentile. If not (and my condolences to you for living in a state that requires children so young to be tested), then just know that he'll do better next year.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the previous post is wise. A couple of notations for you next child (?), as well. I encourage homeschoolers not to register until they absolutely have to register. Most states do not require a 5 yo to register. You can still homeschool but it keeps everything simple.

As well, I would not test my child until they have to be tested. Not knowing what state you are in, you probably did not have to test this child at this age (though I could be wrong). Frankly, it is none of their business.

Finally, I would get involved and know the laws of your own state. It sounds like you are frantic and that may be because you are not too familiar with the laws. Get involved in HSLDA and use their resources. Know the laws of where you are. Sometimes not knowing the laws causes more fear than needed.

More than likely bombing this test is not a big deal.

If your son cannot take tests well, you may want to consider the portfolio route.
Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Ohio so I had a choice to test or portfolio.

I unfortunately choose the test. He needs a 25 percentile but I was under the impression that he had to get a 25 percentile separately in BOTH math and English. I found out that it's combined so I'm not as worried.

I'm still getting a portfolio together and getting that evaluated because that will show what he knows better, then his test wont matter. Our superintendent was confused that we didn't register Miguel for their pre-school home school program. Our state requires registration at 6. However being low income they want him in school as fast as possible,they wanted him in head start at 3, so it was a lot easier just to register him. He's an only child so I don't have to worry about making the same mistake twice Very Happy .

I don't do good with the unexpected. This was the last thing I expected. He knows this stuff like the back of his hand. Try make a portfolio when I didn't start in the beginning is going to be difficult for me.I know I covered all the subjects don't remember how. Again a mistake I wont make twice.

I need to paste a copy of the law on the wall so I can read it in times when the unexpected happen.

Thanks
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Ohio and I do the Portfolio method. Throughout the year I save handwriting samples, math worksheets, photo's of activities and field trips, craft projects, etc. (My kids are too young for reports of any kind but we do take quizzes)

At the end of the year I assemble samples of work from each quarter and put them into a binder to show progress and improvement throughout the course of the year for the Portfolio review. My assessor said that she looks at the Portfolio to see that the child is performing to the best of his ability and that the child has made progress throughout the year.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miguelsmommy wrote:

Our superintendent was confused that we didn't register Miguel for their pre-school home school program. Our state requires registration at 6. However being low income they want him in school as fast as possible,they wanted him in head start at 3, so it was a lot easier just to register him. He's an only child so I don't have to worry about making the same mistake twice Very Happy .

Thanks

You are not required to register home school preschool or home school at all until your child is 6 years of age. You can do homeschooling before then, but you are not required to report it to anyone until the child is 6.

It sounds like you didn't know all the laws and requirements and the Superintendent was able to intimidate you. I'm sorry this happen to you. Income level should not make any difference with school attendance.

Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him being five was little concern to us and we did know that we could wait until he was six. Our superintendent was confused because he would have been placed in first a year before he was. His work from the beginning of the year looks exactly the same as the end. Do they do it based on ability or grade level? Miguel has chosen all curriculum that is at least a 1st grade level but very easy for him. Yes I let HIM pick his curriculum.
Most of his learning is done through discussion because he lacks "motivation".

So how do I do the portfolio that's based on conversation? He does have tons of work sheets but not "to his ability".

Should I just try getting him to do some work at his level to put in the back? I really don't want to push him.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miguelsmommy wrote:

So how do I do the portfolio that's based on conversation? He does have tons of work sheets but not "to his ability".

Here's what I did for my 5 year old. Each time she accomplished a goal I made her a Certificate and signed and dated it.

So when she was able to recite the abc's, count to 10, knows her vowels, I printed out a certificate on the computer with the achievement, her name and the date and placed it in her Portfolio.

Also, she can't read yet so after our "Five Senses" unit and "Seasons" Unit I made her a multiple choice test and I read her each question and the multiple choice answers. She circled the answer of her choice. I placed these items in her portfolio.

I have worksheets with handwriting samples, simple math worksheets she completed, and some telling time worksheets. Her handwriting worksheets in September show wobbly S's where her handwriting worksheets in March show much neater S's.

I hope that helps you some.

Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the certificate idea. I will use that myself. DD loves certificates and stars! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: