Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Importance of a Homeschool Dad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessicaparnell
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: The Importance of a Homeschool Dad Reply with quote

I call my husband “The fun patrol.” Why? Because he is a master of finding adventure, of pushing the limits, of creating fun experiences for my kids. Through their dad, my kids have learned the joys of hiking, biking, kayaking, landscaping, building, designing and racing pinewood derby cars, wrestling, camping, building a fire, drawing, electronics, and so much more! He is the one who has given them the confidence to try new things, to overcome their fears, and to press on to excellence.

And he does all of that after work!

But there are a number of dads out there who are the primary teachers in their homeschool. Whether he is the support network for your family or the primary instructor in your homeschool program, Dad is important and very necessary!

Dad brings a whole new perspective to homeschooling and to life in general. With Dad, my kids have the opportunity to take part in a whole new world of activities. With Dad, those concepts that I just can’t seem to get them to grasp are suddenly understandable. With Dad, that digestive system model that looked more like the model of the playground suddenly took a more appealing shape! But despite his importance, most homeschool sites and resources are directed to homeschooling moms! True, the majority of homeschoolers are homeschooling moms, but for those of you dads who either put in the time after work or who take on the primary teaching role, help is available.

For those of you Dads who serve a supporting role in the homeschool program, read on for my top sixteen ways to be outstanding!

Things to do with your kids:

Do a science experiment together.
    Build a project while teaching them how use your tools.
    Read to them adding in your own special additions that make the story more exciting.
    Go for a hike with your children and point out the beauty and intricacies of God’s creation.
    Share memories from your childhood while taking a walk or hanging out on the couch with your kids.
    Read a chapter of the Bible every evening.
    Take your kids to a minor-league baseball game .
    Turn off the television.
    Play silly games that involve lots of hugging and wrestling.
    Hug them when you leave for work and when you come home.
    Give them a vision worth living for--and worth dying for, if necessary.
    Get them involved in sports and be their biggest fan (beware of trying to take on a coaching role unless you are the coach.

How to support the home:

Do the grocery shopping.
If you want to go an extra mile: take care of the laundry.
Take the first 10 minutes of your time when you come in the door to sit and talk with your wife—and let her do the talking.
Be sure to make time to date your wife.
Encourage mom to take time off just for herself while you watch the kids.

No matter your role, you are important and very necessary to the success of your homeschool program!
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool Cool
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I sometimes think that my Dh could do so much more, but he does so much of that list already, I think I need to go give him a big hug!! Smile

If I"m busy and he can't see the laundry room floor, he do laundry until he can. I love the man!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
SecondGenHS
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha that's funny. My dad did some cool building stuff with us but we DREADED him doing any of our lessons. He was a drill seargent and didn't 'do them like mom does them'. Especially the spelling tests Smile
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree with you... i know a couple that takes turns with teaching their kids... mommy handles the math, science, etc. lessons, and daddy is in charge with taking the kids outside the house to do fun stuff, so as to develop the children's social skills...
douglisa
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my husband could be more involved but he works sun up to sun down for an excavating company. When he gets home he showers, eats, then sleeps. We look forward to lay off so we can see him more.
judyh
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: homeschooling dads are just commendable Reply with quote

I think homeschooling dads are simply great to have! A lot of dads i know are too busy to make time for their kids. Last week, my friend told me that her husband has been spending too much time on his computer (on facebook to be exact) . She then asked him to spend time with the kids or do some reading with them. The next thing she went to the room and saw her kid sitting his lap and spending time on facebook together! Perhaps its not a 'natural' thing for husbands to be involve in homeschool activities. To those who does, i can only say well done Smile

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: