Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best math for kindergarten?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
springmama
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Best math for kindergarten? Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide on a math curriculum for my 5 year old. I haven't had the opportunity to see anything in person. Can anyone recommend some good math programs for kindy?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love miquon, it is simple and the children can dp a lot on their own. You may need to suplement spme extra practice but other than that I lvoe them
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Joyce TN
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that even using the work books found in the stores or printing pages from the computer would work just fine at this time. If you really want to go with an actual curriculum there are homeschool conventions that take place each year, I would suggest you look into this. atozhomeschool has a list by state. I used A Beka.
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi springmama, I have been wanting to get back to this thread to give you some advice, but I just now found the time.

Without knowing your child, it would be difficult to recommend a specific program. When choosing a program, you need to consider your child's learning style. If he is a hands on learner you will want to use something that frequently uses manipulatives. If he is more of a visual learner, you may want something colorful or if he is distracted by color and drawings, you may want something more plain.

We used Abeka for my son's K year and it worked out great. But there are MANY great programs available on the market.

I've also heard good things about Miquon, Singapore, Horizons, Saxon, and Math U See.

You can find reviews of them here: http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/default.aspx?id=93
hslingmom
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love RIghtstart math. I love the way her approach to teaching children math. My children also love it. We all like the fact that it is not a whole lot of writing and workbook. Instead it is manipulative's, games, and all of that. Love it!
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the games and having fun is key to helping kids feel as though math is doable and not something that causes frustration. The more fun you can make it at the early ages, the more they will enjoy it as it becomes more difficult when they get older.

Try to keep a balance w/ the "workbook" style approach and the fun games and manipulatives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: