Summertime

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lorelei
User

Summertime

Postby lorelei » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi all!

We will finish up my son's first year of kindergarten the Friday before Memorial Day and I plan on starting school back around Aug 4. What do you suggest I do while we are on summer break? I don't want it to feel like "school" while we are out. I just don't want him to forget all the stuff he has learned this year. I definetly am going to do a summer reading program where he has to read "x" number of books and then maybe earn something for doing it. We have flash cards, etc so wasn't sure if every day I should get him to pick one set of flashcards to do or maybe once a week have him do a writing sheet and flashcards then??

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!
Lori, proud mom to Hunter (6) and Dalton (3)

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:27 am

The library should have a summer reading program - I'd check that out first.

We do a lot of science in the summer. It's so nice outside to do more of the messy things. That, and summer camp/College 4 Kids is always a welcome change.

Maybe a page of math gets done in the morning, but as soon as the nice weather hits it's all about practical application instead of studying. I need him to see that his education means something. Like, this year (3rd grade) we studied up to the age of the explorers in history. Cool. So we're doing a long project of mapping the local area using resources and techniques the explorers would have used (astronomy/geography/math/reading/journaling..). We're also taking that time to brush up on our survival training. Aside from that, we're doing an immersion language experience and summer camp.
By the time fall rolls back around, he'll be ready to hit the books again.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Keeping a 6 yr old skills up to par shouldn't be that difficult since you are dealing w/ the basics. Have him help w/ cooking (measuring, counting), grocery shopping (writing lists, counting money), playing in the sandbox or at the beach (where does sand come from, how does it act when it gets wet vs. dry), monitor the weather (temperature, water cycle), etc.

Just look at the regular stuff you do on a daily basis with the eyes of a teacher and ask yourself how you can use these tasks to teach, reinforce, or spark interest in your child.

Then think about each task through the eyes of your child. What makes it interesting? What do I know about this already? What don't I know about this? Why ....?

Have fun - especially now when he is so young and everything is a learning experience and fun!
Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:55 am

Hi Lori,
If you don't like the rewards for the reading program, at the library, you could substitute your own rewards, making them books. That worked for my kids when they were very young. Our library let you choose a book as a prize. When we moved our new library didn't do it that way, and had stuffed animals and pencils---not so good for a clutter bug.
We always try to go camping in the summer. Take some day trips, too. Have lots of fun.
Kim in IL

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”