Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Care-giver Stress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Care-giver Stress Reply with quote

When a child is sick and/or has special needs, the care undeniably becomes weary for the care givers. Depending on the day or week, I try to come up with ways to help me. Although, sometimes I don't feel like helping me, having to force myself- always glad when I do. But, you know how it goes, "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy".
Exercising and eating foods to make more energy (not sugar) like (You know all the buzz words,) "phyto-chemicals and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids", Scripture reminders and music help with the attitude. In a few weeks, I'll be working in the garden. I guess I'd better come up with a plan. I haven't done any cross stiich in a while. Maybe, something small and do-able for now. This afternoon, I'm going to take 20 minutes to arrange some spring silk flowers in a vase to display on dining table, if I feel like it. (I'll do it- in 5 minutes.)
What do you do to pick up your mood or help to keep your stress attitudes in check?
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes take a drive once my husband is home to care for the kids. It may be a 15-20 trip to drop a letter at the Post Office. That's enough to help me step back...and refocus.

I may shed a few tears while in the shower. It seems to be a good release when I'm feeling down but can't quite figure out why. Can anyone relate to that?

There are lots of other things that I want to try when it's practical. Crocheting, sketching, pastels, reading for MY own pleasure...these are things on the horizon.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of different things, and never really stay on any one thing for long. I've painted with the children, just simple acrylics, on mat board, or rocks. I've cross stitched, crocheted, knitted,... crafts DO help if you can do them. I also find that sitting down and ignoring the pile of laundry that I am sitting on top of, and cuddling on the couch with the boys and reading them all a pile of stories, is great for all of us. We all benefit, it is good for me to relax, and it is great time together for them. the boys love those old cultural legend books at the library, and I do too, so we get a pile of those and sit down and enjoy. The trick is to ignore the rest of the things that you aren't doing.

I have a plaque:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow..
for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Smile
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just supplied my new motto!!! Laughing
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let some things slide once in a while. Ignore some of the petty stuff. As long as you are not a week behind in the laundry and there is something to fix for dinner then take a break. Play with the kids and do something nice for yourself even if its only for 30 minutes. And try not to feel guilty about it. When I exercise or sit at computer or couch and my husband walks in, I say, oh I just sat down, or I won't be too long. He says he doesn't care if I sit or exercise all day, so stop that guilty stuff. Anyway, he's told me that for years, I don't feel that way much anymore. Hey, he takes a nap or sits to relax when he wants and doesn't feel a morsel of guilt.
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4given wrote:

I may shed a few tears while in the shower. It seems to be a good release when I'm feeling down but can't quite figure out why. Can anyone relate to that?

Yes. Yes, I can relate to that. It's not that I'm a "wallower" trying to keep myself in a depression, but tears sometimes cleanse.

OTHER than the cleansing cry, I enjoy a daily devotional calendar, my study Bible, going outside to talk to the dogs and cats, or put on music while I go about daily chores.

Sheila
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArkansasHomeschooler wrote:
4given wrote:

Yes. Yes, I can relate to that. It's not that I'm a "wallower" trying to keep myself in a depression, but tears sometimes cleanse.

OTHER than the cleansing cry, I enjoy a daily devotional calendar, my study Bible, going outside to talk to the dogs and cats, or put on music while I go about daily chores.

Sheila

We can relate on more than one point....my name is Sheila, too! Very Happy
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to watch a very funny movie, one that would really make me laugh. Not exclusively a guy movie or a chik flik, just entertaining and really funny. I don't watch many movies, but I would if I thought it was worth my time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: