Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horton Hears a Stereotype on Home-Schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmccarth
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Horton Hears a Stereotype on Home-Schooling Reply with quote

The new movie "Horton Hears a Who" has a brief line, disrespecting home-schooling. It was brought to my attention here:
http://www.thecampusword.com/content/view/2771/593/
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hsers are making too much of this. It's a funny line. IMHO it shows how much homeschooling is now so mainstream.

I think we should just laugh at ourselves and move on. By getting our panties in a bunch over it, we're making ourselves even bigger targets.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times have I said "and I homeschool my kids" when I spell something wrong or say something that sounds stupid? Or the kids do something goofy and we respond with "well, he is hs you know."

The writers may have meant it to be a slam, they may have thought the hs groups would think it funny, who knows what they thought. But I think, sometimes, we as hs allow ourselves to be offended over stuff that really, tomorrow, isn't gonna matter for a hill of beans. JMHO
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W/ the number of Hsers growing like crazy, I can't imagine that the writers would purposely try to anger the homeschoolers. I'm sure they meant it to be funny and taken lightly.
Emerging Dad
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was funny. I grew up in an area replete with obscenely self-righteous homeschoolers (I attended a small-town public school, where my father was an administrator), and the kangaroo reminded me of one of their ringleaders, who — he was a preacher — allegedly preached an entire sermon about the evils of Disney movies.

I'm sure that I, too, will make jokes at my kids' expense for being homeschooled. I'm equally sure I'm already as self-righteous as the kangaroo at times.

Semper Reformanda!
KiKi
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: ... a year later, but Reply with quote

As an aside, Hollywood is totally cool with hsing. Loads of tv/film professionals hs their kids and working child actors are mostly hsed or tutored. Writers are generally private, not-so-social, nose to the keyboard type of guys. I bet a bunch of them wish they'd been hsed themselves! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: