Horton Hears a Stereotype on Home-Schooling

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kmccarth
User

Horton Hears a Stereotype on Home-Schooling

Postby kmccarth » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:42 pm

The new movie "Horton Hears a Who" has a brief line, disrespecting home-schooling. It was brought to my attention here:
http://www.thecampusword.com/content/view/2771/593/

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 pm

How many times have I said "and I homeschool my kids" when I spell something wrong or say something that sounds stupid? Or the kids do something goofy and we respond with "well, he is hs you know."

The writers may have meant it to be a slam, they may have thought the hs groups would think it funny, who knows what they thought. But I think, sometimes, we as hs allow ourselves to be offended over stuff that really, tomorrow, isn't gonna matter for a hill of beans. JMHO

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 am

Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Emerging Dad
User

Postby Emerging Dad » Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 pm

I thought it was funny. I grew up in an area replete with obscenely self-righteous homeschoolers (I attended a small-town public school, where my father was an administrator), and the kangaroo reminded me of one of their ringleaders, who — he was a preacher — allegedly preached an entire sermon about the evils of Disney movies.

I'm sure that I, too, will make jokes at my kids' expense for being homeschooled. I'm equally sure I'm already as self-righteous as the kangaroo at times.
I'm a nice enough guy, and if I say something hurtful I probably didn't mean it that way.

Semper Reformanda!

KiKi
User

... a year later, but

Postby KiKi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 pm

As an aside, Hollywood is totally cool with hsing. Loads of tv/film professionals hs their kids and working child actors are mostly hsed or tutored. Writers are generally private, not-so-social, nose to the keyboard type of guys. I bet a bunch of them wish they'd been hsed themselves! :wink:

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”